Afraid to buy a smaller size!

Options
Am I the only one who feels this way? I have been a 16/18 for a really long time and losing 51 lbs I think I want to try a 14 but I am scared to buy a 14. I don't know why but every time I think about trying one on I just end up walking right past the clothes section. I don't know what my problem is. My 16's are currently falling off of me so I will need something else soon before winter hits but not sure how to go about it.

Replies

• H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    if your current size is falling off of you, its time for the smaller size.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Totally with you on this!!! all my clothes are too big I've even missed the change to wear my "skinny" clothes. I'm way too scared to purchase smaller clothes though =p maybe I'm afraid I'll have spent all that money and failed.
    We should just go buy the clothes that fit and say screw it cause we're awesome and will stay with this!
  • jnettiedotson
    Options
    After 51 lbs, I bet you're not even a 14. You're proably a 12....do it! Imagine the feeling you're going to get!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    You have to face your fear in order to grow (as a person, not larger) Reach outside your comfort zone - you MIGHT be amazed
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    ohhhh, i don't know.....I LOOOOVE buying smaller sized clothing.
    In the past I used to buy clothing too small to fast, but now all my too small clothing fits perfectly.
    Go for it! and give away all your "too big" clothing.
    It will give you the motivation not to gain any weight back, and when you see how great you look in clothing that fits properly it will give you incentive to lose even more!

good luck!
  • jnettiedotson
    Options
    After 51 lbs, I bet you're not even a 14. You're proably a 12....do it! Imagine the feeling you're going to get!

Maybe even smaller than that girlie!
  • MrsPike07
    MrsPike07 Posts: 160
    Options
    Just dooooo itttttttt! I am only down 19lbs but I need to size down from a 16. I put them on and they look great but an hour later I have baaaaad saggy butt and I have to keep hauling them up. I say you have nothing to lose so try them on and do a happy dance when they fit! :happy:
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Just do it. I promise it will make you feel fabulous! If you're worried you won't stay the same size and waste the $$$ buy off the sale rack. That's what I do as I don't plan on staying a 14!

I agree with the others, I bet you're at least a 12 if not 10 with a 51lb loss! Go for it!!!!!
  • Rach911
    Rach911 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I know EXACTLY how you feel!! I fought it for a long time! What I decided to do was only buy a few things....2 or 3 pants and a few shirts at a time. Cuz while I was thrilled I could fit in the smaller size, I still wanted to keep losing so why buy a whole bunch when I only plan on staying in that size for a short period of time. I know have my original 20/22's a couple of 18's, a few 16 and I just bought 2 pairs of 14 pants. Cant wait to fit comfortably in the 14 so I can buy the 12 in anticipation! Do it...u deserve the smaller size and you will feel amazing! :wink:
  • darsh11
    darsh11 Posts: 98
    Options
    I feel that way a lot. For me it is the realization that I am smaller and accepting change is hard. You might find that you are not even a 14, but a 12. The first time I was able to shop the misses section instead of the plus size I had a break down in the dressing room. I was very happy, but also overcome with so much emotion. I always saw the negative the frumpy clothes, the fat, but putting on the smaller sizes makes you feel empowered.
  • CaliSweden
    Options
    If you're pants are falling off of you, it's time to buy a new clothes. Clothes that fit properly will also make you look better and skinnier. I'm sure more people will notice how slim you've become :)
  • Gettingbettereveryday
    Options
    Take a friend shopping with you who can support you and maybe steer you into things you might not normally choose - a fresh pair of eyes for your new shape. Congratulations on achieving such a big weight loss, you've done really well and now it's time to reward yourself.
  • Jones115
    Jones115 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    For a long time I made having to buy new clothes an excuse not to lose weight. Now that I have lost almost 50 lbs and I try on the smaller size it makes me feel so much better that I can fit into small sizes. Plus, when I look in the mirror I really start to love myself in that small size.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    You need to stop equating your worth with your size. Try on the 14's. If they don't fit, so what? Buy some clothes that DO fit. But if your 16's are falling off, chances are you'll fit into those 14's no problem. You might even need a 12. But if you can't get into something, that's not YOUR fault. The clothes don't fit YOU, and that's the clothes' problem, not yours. Just get some that do fit.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar situation.

I have had a 44 - 46" waist for years.

Now I need to fold over my 44" pants and put my belt to the last hole to keep my pants on.

Time for new cloths. But, I still have a good 30 lbs to go before I reach my initial weight goal. I do not want to buy 38" - 40" pants just to need 36" pants in a couple of months. (Yes, I am that cheap!)

Also, I do not want to jinx any further success by prematurely buying new, smaller, clothes.
  • sexyminxinthemaking
    sexyminxinthemaking Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    51lb is amazing go treat yourself to some smaller clothes now you deserve it girlie :)
  • katg100
    katg100 Posts: 12
    Options
    Know what you mean, I am scard, although I have a way to go before my clothes are falling off. But they are starting to feel loose. I have been saying this to my friend. We have planned a day just to try new clothes, not buy them. We have decided that once we know the correct size we will plan a shopping trip. I know it sounds daft but feels much less scary. Good luck x

I also agree with Nici about buying clothes on sale to start with. Buy the way if you have lost 51lbs since you were a 16 to 18 I bet you will be surprised how many sizes you have gone down. Good luck xx
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I posted about this about a week ago...I had been putting off trying the next size down forever and when I finally held my breath and did it I was actually down two sizes! I have also lost 51 lbs...I say go for it! You deserve a reward for all your hard work!
  • idiocracy
    idiocracy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Totally with you on this!!! all my clothes are too big I've even missed the change to wear my "skinny" clothes. I'm way too scared to purchase smaller clothes though =p maybe I'm afraid I'll have spent all that money and failed.
    We should just go buy the clothes that fit and say screw it cause we're awesome and will stay with this!

You should just go ahead and buy skinny clothes. Once your closet is full of those, then you won't let yourself gain weight again, since you won't fit in your clothes anymore :P
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    For my company, I work in Benefits and Wellness and our Wellness Coordinator writes a blog every week about health and nutrition. This week was the week he wrote on this exact topic! I'd love to share the blog with you with hopes it helps you slowly ease into that progression of purchasing clothes that fit your NEW and AWESOME body!

http://livewellsgc.wordpress.com/2011/08/23/burning-the-ships/

I'm very fortunate that I work for a company that promotes living well and healthy behaviors. After two years, I"m finally practicing what we're preaching and am feeling good being a motivator for others in my department and company.

Enjoy the blog -- there are others topics there as well.

Angie