New Motivation - Prediabetes

Options
I'm back after being gone for a while. I stopped being aware of my eating and just ate whatever I wanted. Oddly, I didn't gain weight so I assumed I was fine. A routine blood test showed that I'm prediabetic and I am motivated to get my health back on track (hopefully I can avoid meds). Feel free to add me as a friend if you are also working on improving your glucose/A1C numbers.

Replies

• nwettie
    nwettie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey. I’m in the medical field and I’ve had great success with getting patients to lower their a1c and even get off meds from lifestyle changes. You can do it!!
  • kaika_dragon
    kaika_dragon Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Exercise can help a lot! Mine ended up dropping from 5.8 to 5.2 before I made any diet changes - as far as I can tell, the only difference that mattered was adding three hours a week of sports classes, where before I'd been mostly sedentary. Didn't lose any weight, but it definitely helped my blood sugar!
    I'm still working on getting it a bit lower through diet though, as well as trying to lose weight.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    It's not a new motivation for me, but nowadays, because of fresh ability to exercise better and more consistently due to recently replaced hips, I am laser focused on dropping my A1C levels to such a point it causes my doctor to gasp in (happy) alarm when she reads my next lab report (in November) and any thoughts of active treatment evaporate! Tired of being right on that diabetic borderline. I am 25 lbs closer to that goal than I was in May when I last saw my doctor. Add me if you like.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,625 Member
    Options
    I reversed my Type 2 diabetes by losing some weight and am now off all medication. The studies below basically say that losing belly fat around liver and pancreas improves insulin sensitivity.

https://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal/#publicinformation