ONE TIP

Options
Let's say you ran into a girl/boy who told you they were getting ready to start dieting and exercising to loose weight and get healtier. And you could only give them ONE TIP. What would you tell them?? What has really made all the difference in your personal journey??

Replies

• dorisholaway
    dorisholaway Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Do it for yourself and not others!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Try for progress - not perfection. There will be good days and bad. What I mean is - in the old days - one bad day would throw me off course - I would give up. Now I am more patient with myself.
  • butterfly0819
    Options
    Take small steps.. don't try to change everything all at once or you are setting yourself up for failure!!! Start with diet, then add in exercise, etc..
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    MFP baby!
  • Tallulahbelle2011
    Tallulahbelle2011 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Water! :smile:
  • fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    My one tip would be to use a site such as MFP to start keeping a diary of each and every thing he or she puts into their mouth. The one thing that has helped me the most is actually seeing right before me the calories, fat, saturated fat, sodium, cholesterol, sugar, etc., I consume and altering the day's food to fit into my daily goals. Nothing has worked for me before and this WORKS!
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    When you're head is OK (you're confident in yourself, you know what you need/want, you've battled your other demons), your body will follow. It doesn't "click" until your head does -- otherwise, you're just fighting with yourself (food as reward, exercise as punishment, beating yourself up for gaining 2 lbs., etc.)
  • mamashatzie
    mamashatzie Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Log every single bite, every single sip that goes into your mouth. You have no idea how much you're eating until you log it all.

mamashatzie, who once consumed 260 calories worth of frosting by tasting and nibbling during the cake-making process
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Objects may be more calorified than they appear.
  • dkfc17
    dkfc17 Posts: 4
    Options
    I agree. Change one thing at a time. It's not all or nothing. Change one thing until it becomes a habit and becomes part of your lifestyle. Then pick another thing and so on.
  • baycat107
    baycat107 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Track your progress: Write down your goals, write down everything you eat, and document the weekly losses. It's the only thing that has ever worked for me. That's why I am here for round # 2!
  • SusM321
    SusM321 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Replace one "bad" habit with one new "good" habit... soon you won't even notice the new it will just be!
  • LaurieEReid
    Options
    Pay attention while you're eating. i.e. enjoy eating and don't do anything else at the same time (read, watch TV, walk, etc.)
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Download MFP!
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    It's all about consistency! It's ok to fall off the wagon but pick yourself up... you don't have to eat well or exercise every single day, but the more consistent you can be the better your chances of progress :)
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Set a reasonable goal.
  • achasnis
    achasnis Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    MFP! I had plenty of nutrition knowledge before I joined the site.. the basic: eat fruits and vegetables, fast food is bad, etc etc... However, until I could actually COMPARE numbers for calories, fat, carbs, protein, and sodium, I really had no idea HOW bad most foods are for you. I found a lot of my "healthier choices" weren't really that healthy....
  • Babycatcher101
    Options
    Find the motivational support that you are looking for. I work on a labor and delivery unit with an amazing group of women who range in age. In support of our one girlfriend we all jumped on the band wagon to better lifestyles. We absolutley LOVE this website and all of the resources because it makes you feel responsible for what you are putting in to your exercise program and holds you accountable. Having the desire to change your life has to start with you but that extra kick in the butt comes from others helping you tow the line when the going gets tough. I am sure those ladies will read this and I just want to say thank you for your support! :)
  • shybelle
    shybelle Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Think before you eat.
  • epaphus98
    epaphus98 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Of course, MFP! It makes me accountable every single day and there is so much great information & support on here :happy:

Other than MFP, plan ahead; it is much easier to control what you are going to eat and portion it out correctly if you take a few hours to plan and pack all your meals once a week. This has been the key for me, but probably because I love routine so much!