Is the belly really the last to go?

Options
For those of you who have lost lots of weight...is the belly/tummy/pouch really the last to go?

I don't think I'll ever have a flat belly and don't expect to have a flat belly after being heavy all my life and having 3 kids but I'm wondering when this kangaroo pouch of mine is going to get the hint and start going away...:grumble:

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i read somewhere that the place you want to reduce the most is usually the last place fat burns away from. so yeah, probably.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    For me it's all about the thighs! This is hereditary - everyone is different.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    My belly is shrinking slowly... and so are my danged thighs. :-/
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    From what I've understood, the spots with the biggest fat stores are the last to go. Yay for that being my thighs :sad:
  • howmyworldruns
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. Mine is shrinking, but is it ever going to be flat?
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    most likely, since that's what we want to lose the most lol
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    your body determines where you gain weight first and where you lose it last....and its usually the same spot(s) for both. just keep with it and the fat will melt.
  • flea2449
    flea2449 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Everything has been shrinking on me, but it's going to be my *kitten* and hips that will take the longest. Don't get me wrong, I do have a belly but my *kitten* went on and still goes on forever!!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Belly is the last for me.
    First - Face & double chin
    Second - Legs & butt
    Last - Mid-section (belly)

All are still a work in progress. However, the above are the sequence of how my body has changed so far.
  • KyleGA
    KyleGA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Keep working hard...too bad we can't spot fat burn. Where we pick an area on our body and burn that fat...that would be awesome, but not a reality.

I've found and read that the tummy will be a reflection of our diets. That its, for a bunch of us, the first place where fat builds...so keep eating healthy and working hard and in time your belly will be an accurate reflection of your healthy lifestyle!

Cheers!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    There have been a couple of recent studies comparing people on low-fat diets with people on low-carb diets. I'm at work right now or I'd look up the references for ya... :smile: Both groups lost weight at more-or-less the same rate, but the low-carbers lost more inches in the belly region than the low-fat dieters. So if you find that you're having trouble with that particular area, you could try adjusting your nutrient ratios for fewer carbs and more protein (the "more protein" bit is very important if you're going to lose fat but not muscle on a low-carb diet).
  • sexyminxinthemaking
    sexyminxinthemaking Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    i lost 3 stone about 2 years ago ( then had a baby and put a stone back on hence why im on this site) and my belly went completely flat i have 3 kids and i couldnt believe it so it is achieveable just keep working at it
  • Gabika
    Gabika Posts: 26
    Options
    i wake up in the morning with flatt-ish belly, as soon as I have my breakie ( poridge with bananas and cup of tea every day!) my belly pops up like a balloon?? if i am not careful and eat chocolate. biscuits and generally bad food I look like 4 months pregnant all in one day...
    sometimes I think it is genetic, as my mum is skinny but has a belly like a 'spider' lol, so perhaps I am fighting against the nature??
    sorry my rant over...
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    For me it's always the hips and thighs. :(
  • albali
    albali Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hi babes,
    I hear ya! I am just the same. I have lost a fair amount on my thighs and bum, and even what I call my top stomach (just under my boobs). Now it's thinner there, it just makes my belly look bigger than ever. It's actually quite depressing. I guess we just have to keep going and going! Surely by the time we are in the 160s we should be smaller bellied???!! I am 179 at the mo and I reckon 10lbs more loss or so MUST make my belly look smaller!! I keep running and chanting 'smaller belly, smaller belly', keep doing zumba and chanting, 'smaller belly, smaller belly' and doing sit ups chanting, 'smaller belly, smaller belly,' but my belly is deaf!
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I have lost weight everywhere...I mean it's noticeable in my face, neck (my collar bones have really started to show), arms, legs, back and although my belly is smaller it's still the largest part of my body. I am currently at 174ish and I am really hoping that by the time I get to the 160's that I can at least tell that its starting to melt in my lower tummy area (wishful thinking). My dress pants and jeans are huge at my legs, bottom and around the waist but this kanga-pouch just won't budge. In the mean time I guess we'll just keep trying. :ohwell: