New Here!

Options
Good morning!

I am so frustrated because I have only lost four pounds in almost sixty days! I feel that I am at a major plateau that I can probably credit to the afternoon snacking at work. I have an EXTREMELY hectic lifestyle (single mom, two special needs kids, working 50 hrs/ week, lots of therapy appts etc). I have a difficult time eating enough for lunch to feel full while staying under my calories and they have a bowl of chocolate right next to my office..... i started the free trial with Noom but I am thinking that is probably so unnecessary. I want to be lean and muscular and I would like to lose an additional 10-12 pounds. Advice?

Also I do workout 20+ minutes 5 days a week, a couple hours in the gym on Saturdays, and help clean up/ tear down at church on Sundays, so pretty active and aware of my food and calorie intake.

Replies

• TeraMB
    TeraMB Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Have you tried fasting to reboot your system? That’s what worked for me! I’ve only done it once but it was worth it.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I lost ONE pound my first 2 months. Then I started actually counting calories, weighing food, using this app, etc. In the next 2 months, I lost 7 lbs. I'm currently trying to increase my calories a bit to slow down the weight loss.

Note: I hadn't realized how fast I was losing until ending a trial of a new med that was started during the second 2 months. Drug caused water weight can really mask a loss.
  • Boomshakalaka01
    Boomshakalaka01 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Protein! (Always have some pre-cooked if possible). (Light?) weight training helps burn more calories, develop muscle mass, allows you to eat more. Anyone that needs to spend 1 hr or more at the gym daily is most likely a body builder training for a competition. Adding weights will help reduce your time at the gym = so no more 60+ min on an elliptical machines or treadmill.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Wow you all are so encouraging! Thank you so much!

My food scale arrived yesterday! And I just tried to weigh cooked kale and now it’s slimy and gross ..... also does sautéed (in olive oil) kale really only weigh 3 grams?
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    In nearly all cases, you weigh food uncooked/raw/frozen.

You also want to use the tare/zero button on your scale so you can weigh on plates or in bowls.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Wow you all are so encouraging! Thank you so much!

My food scale arrived yesterday! And I just tried to weigh cooked kale and now it’s slimy and gross ..... also does sautéed (in olive oil) kale really only weigh 3 grams?

Weigh the olive oil and the raw kale separately, log them, then cook.
  • JenniferM1234
    JenniferM1234 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hi, I’m new too! I don’t think you’re stuck, because a doctor told me that losing half a pound a week is the healthiest route to actual permanent long-term (etc) weight loss to maintenance. It’s the rate with the least “backslides.” 😁😁
  • Camaramandy648
    Options
    boldknee wrote: »
    In nearly all cases, you weigh food uncooked/raw/frozen.

You also want to use the tare/zero button on your scale so you can weigh on plates or in bowls.

What does the tare/zero button do?
  • Camaramandy648
    Options
    Hi, I’m new too! I don’t think you’re stuck, because a doctor told me that losing half a pound a week is the healthiest route to actual permanent long-term (etc) weight loss to maintenance. It’s the rate with the least “backslides.” 😁😁

That is really good news because I feel like this is taking FOREVER. One thing that has been helping me is telling myself that this is not a short-term, temporary goal. I'm not trying to get a "beach body." I'm trying to be healthy for the long term and at the same time achieve the aesthetic that I want. It's not either/or. The two go hand in hand. When I think about it like this, it's easier to not be frustrated about the lack of immediate results.