Injury

Options
Slipped and scraped my knee on Thursday. No pain so I walked over 3 miles yesterday and today it’s stiff and slightly swollen. Want to go for a jog but wondering if that’s a good idea.

What do you do when injured with minimal symptoms? Rest or continue exercising with less intensity.

Replies

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I've learned to heal. Pushing to keep going on top of injuries, can cause further damage.

Too many times have I overdone it.

Elevate swelled part, Ice 10-15 minutes on, 1 hour off, 10-15 minutes on, 1 hour off. Rotate ice on and off. Rest and heal.

• LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Rest ice compression elevation. You did more to it than scrape if it is swollen today. Most likely a patellar bursa bruise that will clear up in a few days but best not tempt fate.
  • SelfMastery69
    SelfMastery69 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just start jogging slow and slowly pick it up day by day unless it starts to hurt a lot.
  • SelfMastery69
    SelfMastery69 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Feel free to message me with any concerns!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    The doctor who first came up with the RICE protocol (rest, ice, compression, elevation) now considers that bad advice, since it has been shown to slow healing. Mild activity and not icing after the first day is the modern recommendation. Jogging probably won’t do further harm, but if anything hurts while running, stop.