Grapefruit

Options
Hello all,

I've just read an article that explained how a group of people were monitored for 12 weeks and lost and average of 3.6 lbs by adding 1/2 of a grapefruit to one of there meals by the end of the study.

Has anyone noticed or no of anyone who has added grapefruit and appear to have increased there loss?

Replies

• smrtcar
    smrtcar Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm on meds and my doctor told me to avoid grapfruit because there is an enzyme in the fruit that blocks absorption of certain meds into the body. Just saying... :)
  • JRB1965
    JRB1965 Posts: 15
    Options
    I had reached a plateau in my weight loss and had a MF pal send me a diet that included 1/2 grapefruit with breakfast and 1/2 grapefruit with lunch. There must be something too adding the acid from the grapefruit because this was not the first time that I had heard such a thing. Just this week, I have returned to adding grapefruit - fingers crossed that there is some truth to this.

SW: 192
    CW: 177
    GW: 165
  • tambink
    tambink Posts: 349
    Options
    i usually eat a half of grapefruit with my breakfast everyday and YES i have lost alot so I feel it does help.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Well, grapefruit isn’t bad for you (unless it interferes with some drugs you’re taking). But, nutrition research studies are tough, because unlike studies on drugs that treat specific diseases, conclusions drawn from diet and nutrition studies are correlative at best, and you can never really attribute something specific, like adding grapefruit to a diet, to weight loss. There are so many other factors that come into play.

I always ask myself if it’s something I would maintain for a long period of time before I do it. If it’s just for quick weight loss, then it’s not usually sustainable, and often not healthy.

But, like I said, there’s nothing “wrong” with adding grapefruit to your diet. But just be careful of the “quick fixes”.