Anyone else doing paleo?

Options
I did paleo, lost 30lbs, loved it!

Got a new job opportunity, fell off paleo eating not so great food, gained some back

Now I’m going paleo again and just seeing if anyone else is doing it

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    Options
    I mainly do paleo because that's the kind of food that I like to eat but I attribute the loss and/or maintenance of my wt mainly to "how much" (CICO) rather than what I eat.

That said, I do hold some views that are considered quite "controversial" and even pure BS here on MFP, regarding both "what" and "how" I eat my food but there's no point of getting into that here.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I’ve done Paleo in the past. Have lost and gained on it (CICO). I will say, generally speaking that it is more challenging to overeat when a good portion of food is off limits, not impossible, just more challenging.
  • Powerclean2deadlift
    Options
    I'm not paleo but I have tried to dial in nutrition a bit more recently and found I am eating paleo type food...when I said this to my mother she laughed and said "So you are just eating normal food then?". Paleo is not magic but I think if you follow it the benefit is you are eating more non-processed foods. Would you do that if you were following cico? who knows. Good luck and remember paleo didn't help you lose 30llbs that was all you.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Paleo seems to have lost its popularity - used to be many threads about it a few years ago but hardly mentioned now.

I think, like its cousin Clean Eating, there was too much ambiguity about what it meant.

But anyway if whatever it means to you works for you, that's great.

Not my thing though.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    the problem I find with any of these FAD diets, is sustainability. Some can, but most fail. A balanced diet is my approach and works like a charm.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I did it for a while, it fits with how I like to eat in a lot of ways, but when I started questioning the rules it fell apart -- I really don't think there's anything negative about whole grains, and for me dairy and beans/legumes are good sources of protein other than meat and don't have any negative consequences. I think in some cases it's an incentive to do more home cooking or to avoid some of the most common dessert or snack type foods, but I don't really tend to overeat those foods in general. I actually decided my diet would be healthier with more beans and whole grains, so I tend to push myself to eat them more.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    clioisms wrote: »

Got a new job opportunity, fell off paleo eating not so great food, gained some back

I wouldn't presume to try and talk you into or out of anything that you love doing and that has provided results. I would encourage you to explore the reasons why you "fell off paleo" when life got in the way and try to figure out how to prevent it from happening again. Perhaps you could modify paleo into your own version with your own rules so that it can work regardless of what is happening in your life.

Any plan that creates a calorie deficit will work for weight loss. Any plan that you can't sustain though is not going to be successful in the long term.

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options

If you're diet is so strict it allows for you to 'fall off' is it really sustainable for the rest of your life? This is another reason I hate fad diets...

Make small changes to you existing diet until you start meeting your goals. Small changes over time add up and then there's nothing to 'fall off' of.

Good luck.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options

If you're diet is so strict it allows for you to 'fall off' is it really sustainable for the rest of your life? This is another reason I hate fad diets...

Make small changes to you existing diet until you start meeting your goals. Small changes over time add up and then there's nothing to 'fall off' of.

Good luck.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Kinda, not strict. Just higher protein whole foods mainly. The as sold "paleolithic" diet is wrong in many ways. Right in others. I like their mantra. Eat whole foods, mostly plants, and not too much. Imho, not the worst way to live.

**edit** to back up my statements
    https://youtu.be/BMOjVYgYaG8
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Kinda, not strict. Just higher protein whole foods mainly. The as sold "paleolithic" diet is wrong in many ways. Right in others. I like their mantra. Eat whole foods, mostly plants, and not too much. Imho, not the worst way to live.

That mantra is Michael Pollan's, and has nothing to do with the paleo-specific rules (no dairy, legumes, or grains).

I also find it preferable to eat mostly from whole foods, to cook for myself most days, so on, but I don't think paleo can coopt that, it was a way people ate way before the paleo diet was a thing (and typically included dairy, legumes, grains in various forms, and potatoes -- another food sometimes verboten on some versions of paleo).

I see (and agree) that you are debunking the "how paleo man ate" thing, but I see no reason to credit paleo for Pollan's advice, and ideas that are used way beyond paleo.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »

That mantra is Michael Pollan's, and has nothing to do with the paleo-specific rules (no dairy, legumes, or grains).

I also find it preferable to eat mostly from whole foods, to cook for myself most days, so on, but I don't think paleo can coopt that, it was a way people ate way before the paleo diet was a thing (and typically included dairy, legumes, grains in various forms, and potatoes -- another food sometimes verboten on some versions of paleo).

I see (and agree) that you are debunking the "how paleo man ate" thing, but I see no reason to credit paleo for Pollan's advice, and ideas that are used way beyond paleo.

My bad....🤐
  • clioisms
    clioisms Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wow thank so much everyone! I didn’t expect so many insightful responses!

To answer the “fell off question” I do recipe development and then was asked to do food reviews. I was sent to Asia to review and most of the food is not paleo friendly

That being said it’s interesting how last year paleo was (as someone said) the lifestyle change of choice and now its seems most aren’t so sure anymore. I do agree that I found some things that aren’t on a paleo diet aren’t bad foods to begin with (chickens, green beans, lentils, ect)

Perhaps I am approaching this too strictly?

Also I don’t know what CICO is??????
  • clioisms
    clioisms Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Oooh CICO= calories in and calories out, I’m dumb lol
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Oooh CICO= calories in and calories out, I’m dumb lol

Nope, absolutely not dumb.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1069278/acronyms-and-terms-for-new-mfp-members-v-6/p1