moaning and groaning and more ranting

Options
it looked as though the scale might have gone down a pound on the manuel scale. then i bought the digital scale today which is a healthometer and i weigh 5 pounds more on it. when i went to the doctor i was a few pounds down from the last visit, and it is a pound down from what the doc scale had said. total confusion and upset. then it said my % water was 27 and its supposed to be 50%. i take bp pills and it lowers my water in my body anyhow. then it said % fat was 60 omg! for my height and weight my bmi is about 44, but this says different. im so confused and thinking of eating something fattening for dinner and then go right back to healthy eating since i havent lost barely anything in a weeks time..

Replies

• rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I know your frustrated! It happens to all of us. If you eat something fattening, only eat a little bit. I promise you will regret it tomorrow when you start anew if you eat a bunch of fatty stuff. I always figure it is better to start a new day at my disgusting weight rather than my disgusting weight plus 1. Good luck!
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    BMI is not your body fat %, and it is not useful for estimating body fat %.

Also... pick one scale and stick to it! When you're tracking weight loss, precision (telling you how much you LOST) is more important than accuracy (telling you how much you actually weigh).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accuracy_and_precision
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should throw away your scales - concentrate on inches lost instead, otherwise you will drive yourself crazy.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The water and body fat percentage measuring scales are so far from accurate, they're on another planet.

All you need is a simple scale that tells your weight. I like digital because it's easier to read, but otherwise, all my scale does is tell me what I weigh (and it can track how much I gain or lose with each WI).

Don't assume you haven't lost weight because three different scales tell you three different weights. That's pretty common.

Just stick to one scale.
  • craftzilla
    Options
    healthometer scales are TERRIBLE! Throw it away now and save yourself the drama that brand of scale can bring =)
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I bought a weight watchers scale (the one without all the bells and whistles) and it weighs the most accurate of any I've ever owned. It actually weighs me the same as what the doctor's scale does.

If in doubt, calibrate it by putting a 10 lb dumbbell on it and see if it comes to 10 lbs or not. Then take it off and reweigh it. If it comes out to the same weight twice, you know the weight is accurate. Otherwise, it might be time for a new scale.
  • ltlane
    ltlane Posts: 120
    Options
    im debating which one to use from now on. the digital is a 4 pound loss and the manuel is a 5-6 pound loss. i may just use them both on weigh-ins for awhile just to see the difference. i wish i could just throw the damn things away but that is my only way of knowing my progress at the moment.
  • Tegan74
    Tegan74 Posts: 202
    Options
    I bought a weight watchers scale (the one without all the bells and whistles) and it weighs the most accurate of any I've ever owned. It actually weighs me the same as what the doctor's scale does.

If in doubt, calibrate it by putting a 10 lb dumbbell on it and see if it comes to 10 lbs or not. Then take it off and reweigh it. If it comes out to the same weight twice, you know the weight is accurate. Otherwise, it might be time for a new scale.

using a dumb-bell is a good idea!
  • jeffwaller3
    Options
    im debating which one to use from now on. the digital is a 4 pound loss and the manuel is a 5-6 pound loss. i may just use them both on weigh-ins for awhile just to see the difference. i wish i could just throw the damn things away but that is my only way of knowing my progress at the moment.

I both have a digital and manual but I always use the manual one not because it gives me a higher pound loss. It gives me extra motivation to lose more if I use the manual. Kinda like a psychological thing...
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I used to go through that with digital scales. Sometimes I would get off of the scale and get right back on and have a different weight. Then, of course, I would have to repeat that procedure several times and would keep getting slightly different weights. That drove me crazy. I ended up getting a doctor's scale for my birthday several years ago (like 8 to 11 years). Its big and bulky and was expensive, but I love it and I have never gone through that kind of weighing drama again.
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I can calibrate it myself.
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Pick one scale and stick with it. An absolute weight number is far less important than how you look and feel. Just use the scale to track changes.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    your scale is just jealous that you are getting so thin. it's trying to unmotivate you, and you should just kick it to the curb. find yourself a scale that loves you for you, and supports you for who you are, and any weight loss goals you have.