Been told to eat a ton of nuts!!

Options
Just wondering if anyone else does this. A nutrionist told me along with my diet to eat a ton of nuts cause they have the kind of healthy fat I need to help break down the fat around my waist. I am scared it will add more fat to my already fat A@#

Replies

• lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Dietary fat does not make you fat. Nuts (especially walnuts) have omega 3's and help to raise your HDL.

Edit: BTW, nuts will not "break down the fat around your waist". Eating less than your body burns in a day is the only way to lose weight.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    i have a feeling this post is going to go into the gutter fast.....
  • swaggadactyl
    swaggadactyl Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love nuts :) I got through a weight loss plateau - maybe coincidentally - when I started eating them a lot more. The Emerald dark chocolate almonds that are sweetened with sucralose are amazing low sugar treats.
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    I would think they mean to eat more nuts and to stay in your caloric goal. In which case probably the nutritionist knows more than those of us on here. On the other hand if you go all crazy with the calories than yeah it will cause weight gain. My husband just joined this site to try to gain some weight, and nuts are one of the main things he is suppose to be munching on.
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Dietary "fats" are poorly named. They have nothing to do with your weight. The main thing they effective is cholesterol. They are super good for you, enjoy and stay under calories. I don't know what her non-sense about breaking up stomache fat is.
  • thistle0784
    Options
    I've never heard about nuts specifically, but a common piece of advice given to people trying to drop some weight is to increase your protein intake. In general, nuts are a good source of protein, which could be where your nutritionist is coming from.
  • farmingfool
    Options
    I have low-blood sugar problems and i was told to eat approx. 12 nuts before bedtime to help regulate my sugar at night. I was also around 265 lbs. at the time and needed to lose weight. They certainly didn't want me to eat a ton of nuts. You probably misunderstood your nutritionist. Plus, not all nuts are created equal. Some nuts have better fats than others for example almonds. Just a suggestion but I would eat them plain, not roasted in oil and coated in chocolate. I'm sure that is not what your nutritionist meant.
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone else does this. A nutrionist told me along with my diet to eat a ton of nuts cause they have the kind of healthy fat I need to help break down the fat around my waist. I am scared it will add more fat to my already fat A@#

Be careful. Nuts are typically high in calories and too much can push you calorie levels way high. As with anything, moderation is the key. So, you can't eat alot of nuts and still maintain the same meal intake or your weight loss is gonna turn into a weight gain.
  • teakwood
    teakwood Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Felice03... I never thought of that way, but you're probably right :-)

I found this link on all types of nuts. They maybe good for you, but have tons of calories. :indifferent:

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calories_in_nuts.htm
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Define a "ton". Nuts are good for you but high in calories. If you eat a cup you're looking at a LOT of calories (800 or so, I think). I eat the 100 calorie packs of almonds because I have a hard time with portion control when it comes to nuts.
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    I eat lightly salted almonds as a snack. Not in addition to my current calories, but as a part of my goal calories. They have 6g protein and 3g fiber in a 170 calorie serving. I think they are fine as long as you stick to the serving size.
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Nutritionists are NOT dieticians. Research the difference.

ETA: In other words, your dead cat can become a nutritionist, but it can't become a dietician. Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    Eating nuts is good advice--everyone should eat nuts every day....but you still have to eat less calories than you burn if you expect to lose weight. That means you have to plan for them! One of my favorite snacks is plain organic non-fat greek yogurt w/ 1/8 cup of chopped walnuts stirred into it. Very filling, very satisfying, under 200 calories.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Nuts do have healthy fats nutrients and protien but I would say rhat you dont need a "ton". Everything in moderation. a balanced diet is key. I possibly wouldnt listen to any "nutritionist" that tells you to eat a ton of anything.