Anyone give up caffiene/soda - with migraines?

Options
I just gave up soda this week.. (slowly)

interested in seeing how long it took you to kick the headaches/tiredness?
I'm prone to headaches and have been getting them now that i've quit.

Replies

• fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    When I was in college, I went to class all day and worked all night. I lived on caffeine. If I could have gotten a doctor to give me soda in an IV, I would have. I was really jittery after awhile, though, so I decided I'd try to cut it out for a week or so. Worst headaches ever! Lasted about a week and then I was fine..except for the constant sleepiness, that is.
  • maria25428
    Options
    that's encouraging.. i've heard that quite a bit- about a week..thank you ;)
  • TeraJo
    TeraJo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've had migraines my whole life, and they definitely got worse for about a week after stopping all intake of caffine. But they aren't nearly as frequent now!
  • allenlisa
    Options
    a week for me too. I started drinking shakeology and was able to cut out all soda and even coffee too because of the energy it gave me! And trust me I'm always tired. I have 4 kids!
  • lerob
    lerob Posts: 4
    Options
    I've been addicted quite a few times in my life, and I have a hard time not having soda every few days... but I'd say once you get past a week, you're pretty close to being clear. The longer you've been on it and the higher your consumption, though, the worse it is, I imagine.

It took me three days this last time I got off of it before I really recovered, but it came concomitant with beginning a diet and exercise regimen, so I didn't feel so many no-caffeine headaches as I felt awful all-around.
  • Jomalone2
    Jomalone2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I went cold-turkey off Diet Coke and had to use Aleve and Excedrin to get through the headaches. It only took a few days but I've done it. The hard part is staying on the wagon and not reaching for a diet coke now everytime I am sluggish and want a pick me up. Good luck. You can do it.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I gave up caffeinated soda years ago for the most part. My headaches lasted about 2 weeks, but they are gone now, AND now caffeinated soda actually makes me sick. So you CAN do it.
  • maria25428
    Options
    thanks everyone! appreciate you taking the time to help me out. I am prone to migraines as well and just had a baby. This week i was able to get back on my medicine, so i figured no better time to do it then this week! unfortuenlty it's not helping much LOL but i think i'm almost there!! in a few days i think i'll be in the clear.. it feels so good knowing i'm not having those empty calories in my body!!
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Yep, a few weeks and it's great to break that dependency!
  • DTRTinAZ
    DTRTinAZ Posts: 29
    Options
    I have not had soda, caffinated or otherwise since May. The withdraws took me almost 2-weeks, but I also quit sugar at that time too. Hang in there, just know it will pass. There is nothing in soda that is good for you and your body will thank you for kicking the habit. Good luck. BTW...apply peppermint oil behind your ears and at the base of your neck, or the area that of your head that pounds the most. I get migranes monthly and the peppermint oil is an awesome addition to the ibprofin.
  • MereMe
    MereMe Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I gave them up cold turkey with my last pregnancy - took a week or so but I RARELY drink one now - maybe once a month vs. several a day. I have a history of migraines, but I think caffeine is something you just have to endure the headaches with for a week or so and then you feel MUCH better! :) Best wishes!
  • Amysgetnfit
    Options
    I'm right there with you.I tried before and did not because of headaches....now the past week I have gone down to one a day.still had a headache yesterday.its getting better though.its my only source of caffeine.
    Good luck to you! We can beat the evil soda monster!
  • hotcouponmama
    Options
    I went cold turkey in May, also gave up artificial sweeteners then too. Best decision ever! Only a week of detox and i feel so much better now! I only drink water and milk (and occaisional cocktail) and it has really helped with my weight loss progress. Best of luck to u!!
  • JS70
    JS70 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey about a year ago. It took about 2 weeks to get over the headaches. I had a horrible habit of drinking diet mt dew from the time I got up until I would go to bed. I feel so much better without it now! I now have an occasional diet pop but not diet mt dew since it seems to be so addicting.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I'm an 'occasional' pop drinker (we don't call it soda in Northern Minnesota!) Have never gotten into diet pops, and have WAY cut down my consumption of Coke or other pop.

I do have coffee at work in the morning - a cup or two, with fat-free creamer. Caffeine has been determined to be GOOD for you, in small doses, so I feel it's justified!

I like the bubbles in pop, so when I need bubbles, I reach for sparkling water - no flavor, no calories, no caffeine! Gives me the bubbly rush I like without any added bad stuff :)