Day after long run

What’s your guys’s favorite things to eat the day after a long run? With an extra 1000 calories or so to work with I’m always down for a blizzard from DQ

Replies

• I just don't worry about what I'm eating as opposed to needing to pay quite close attention. My long runs are always Saturday morning, so Saturday night my husband and I watch a movie and eat lots of chocolate!

As a side note, it is only sort of surprising how quickly I can work my way through those extra calories!
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Anything Protein and Potassium rich food!
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    I honestly try to keep my food choices under control post long runs. I have marathoned a few times and gained weight during training. I am sticking to half marathons now so my max mileage doesn't cause the awful hunger those over 16 mile runs give me. A nice 12 to 14 mile run is just enough to fuel my distance appetite without making me a raving food junkie. But I do enjoy a nice cold one post long run.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    cyndit1 wrote: »
    I honestly try to keep my food choices under control post long runs. I have marathoned a few times and gained weight during training. I am sticking to half marathons now so my max mileage doesn't cause the awful hunger those over 16 mile runs give me. A nice 12 to 14 mile run is just enough to fuel my distance appetite without making me a raving food junkie. But I do enjoy a nice cold one post long run.

No kidding! After one of my 20-milers, I had downed a Tailwind recovery shake, a donut or two, and some chicken tenders before my watch was even done syncing my run. And that was only a fraction of what I ate that day.

I typically “banked” calories for long run day because the hunger after 16+ miles was just insane. I didn’t gain but I easily would have had I not been consciously moving calories to long run day.

OP-my long run day is the day I enjoy foods that typically don’t fit into my calorie goal (while not leaving me quite hungry). Eg-I like donuts, but can’t typically fit them into my day without being exceedingly hungry (as they are very delicious but not at all filling and they have nearly no nutritional value). Donuts, ice cream, bacon cheeseburgers and Mac & cheese make frequent appearances in my diary on long run day.
  • TheRayOD2014
    TheRayOD2014 Posts: 26 Member
    I couldn’t be anymore different! I have no appetite after my long run days so I split it 50/50 for that Sunday and the following Monday. It’s thenday after where the 13+ mile long runs make me ravenous
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    ^^me too. I eat pretty sensible post long run cause my stomach just can't handle it. I do eat some dessert the night before and maybe not as careful night after. Training for my first full now and upping my carb intake without gaining is GLORIOUS.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    I seriously struggle to eat for around 48 hours after a long run, virtually have to force myself, so it's mostly calorie dense protein smoothies, filled with banana, berries, almond butter and hemp protein
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Those are my baking days. I bake cookies, cakes, pies, etc. Whatever I want...I also make sure to get plenty of protein, though. It's not ALL junk!
  • TheRayOD2014
    TheRayOD2014 Posts: 26 Member
    I gotta say blizzards are my only junk food I enjoy, especially the cheesecake ones but it’s sad because I can’t stomach pizza or burgers, any of those :(
  • oceangirl99
    oceangirl99 Posts: 161 Member
    I WISH I wasn't hungry post long run. I am ravenous and tend to eat anything I can get my hands on. THIS is why I gained weight training for a marathon.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Same types of things I would eat otherwise, just a bit more of them. Maybe a beer if it's a hot summer day.
    Otherwise I end up eating everything I can get my hands on, end up feeling like crap and gaining weight.