When did you stop thinking of exercise as a take it or leave it?

Options
2»

Replies

• kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    kiela64 wrote: »
    One of my biggest problems is being sedentary. Unless I have to, I don’t think about moving. I don’t dislike exercise! I just don’t think of it, and when I do the bother of it all - changing, sweating, stretching, carrying a bag, finding a locker, the potential for injury- I can think myself out of it really fast.

“Oh my head hurts” “I have cramps” “it’s too much to carry today” “I don’t want to be smelly on the bus” “I should really focus on X instead” “I’ll do it later”

Like sure they’re all true, but they’re also excuses! I’ve re-packed my exercise bag and not gone to the gym so many times in the last 4 months.

I’ve read the advice to not make it an option and treat it like work. But when did you get there? I can mentally get out of everything unless it’s work or school. I bail on things “just for me” almost always! 😩

You don't have to go to the gym to exercise. Go for a walk...go for a run...get the bike out and go for a ride. I only go to the gym 2-3x per week to lift weights. If my exercise was predicated on making it to the gym everyday, it would never happen.

I think a lot of people have a very myopic perspective on exercise and that you have to go to the gym and either drone away on some piece of stationary cardio equipment, or have some kind of sufferfest workout. Find something you enjoy doing...I love riding my bike...I like walking my dog...I enjoy family hikes on the weekends, etc. Outside of lifting weight, the majority of my exercise consist of recreational activities.

Totally. However if I show up at the gym with stuff, I will exercise. If I’m at home I will not. Even if I know I can.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I think sone of aleeady hit upon it, but I will chime in - find excercise thay does not feel like “excercise.” Tradition gyms have always bored me to tears and i never last more than 6 to 9 months of consistency.

I discovered Brazilian Juu Jitsu and MMA and was instantly hooked. I am always looking for a way to fit another training or sparring sesssion in. The fact that it is an excellent workout is gravy. BJJ/MMA was the catalyst for me dropping 100lbs and getting visible abs for the first time in my life at age 42.

Find that physical activity that you love/get addicted to, and you will never have to worry about excercise motivation again.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Brabo_Grip wrote: »
    I think sone of aleeady hit upon it, but I will chime in - find excercise thay does not feel like “excercise.” Tradition gyms have always bored me to tears and i never last more than 6 to 9 months of consistency.

I discovered Brazilian Juu Jitsu and MMA and was instantly hooked. I am always looking for a way to fit another training or sparring sesssion in. The fact that it is an excellent workout is gravy. BJJ/MMA was the catalyst for me dropping 100lbs and getting visible abs for the first time in my life at age 42.

Find that physical activity that you love/get addicted to, and you will never have to worry about excercise motivation again.

Ditto to almost all of this - except reformer pilates rather than martial arts! Still working on the abs though...maybe by the time I am also 42 (end of the year!). LOL.
    But finding something that really really hooked me is making all the difference. It's not a chore anymore - I am always checking the schedule to see where I can fit another class in.

Pilates is not so much of a cardio workout, but I find I have more energy in general so get out more walking and running with my dog, so overall I am happy with the balance I have now.

And I finally understand that endorphin hit from exercise I'd always heard about. Never got that with my gym workouts.