getting back into the gym :) advice needed

Options
HI there,

Well I'm finally getting back into the gym as I've realised its the only thing that's going to work!
I have 1 stone to lose and want to aim for this as a one month challenge.
I know you can't spot reduce but will prob focus on tum, bum & thighs.

Can anyone advise on The following:

How long should each work out be.
How many times a week should go
What kind of routine is best.

Thank you so much

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    HI there,

Well I'm finally getting back into the gym as I've realised its the only thing that's going to work!
    I have 1 stone to lose and want to aim for this as a one month challenge.
    I know you can't spot reduce but will prob focus on tum, bum & thighs.

Can anyone advise on The following:

How long should each work out be.
    How many times a week should go
    What kind of routine is best.

Thank you so much

How long should each work out be. - That's up to you, most of mine are 45 minutes to 1 hour
    How many times a week should go - I go 5 of 7 days, but that's up to you too
    What kind of routine is best - some cardio, some strenght training
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I range from 45 minutes to 2 hours of actually exercising, plus extra walking around my university and apartment.

I exercise 7 days a week, but one day take it a little easy and stretch a lot.

I like to mix it up between group ex, treadmill, elliptical, bike...always keep the body guessing!

If I were you, start off at 30 minutes 3-4 times a week and work your way up. :) Plus, add in strength training, which I do about 5-6 days a week.

GOOD LUCK! <3
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    My advice is to try a class (1-2 different classes per week).

I have found my classes are filled with both men and women of all shapes, ages, sizes, and ability levels. The teachers are amazing.

I would suggest doing 2-3 classes per week (try something like Power Yoga or even martial arts). In between you can do 1/2 hour of the elliptical, stretching and hand weights.

Take it easy, take it slow...and find a class that you love. It will make all of the difference and you'll even learn something new and not get bored!
  • shandibrooke
    Options
    i tend to work out six days a week about and hour and a half a day.
    that was my routine lately, but here is the new one ill be starting.

MONDAY- skinny ***** boot camp (workout dvd)
    - 30 minutes circuit training.

TUESDAY- 30 minute walk

WEDNESDAY- skinny ***** body (workout dvd)
    - 30 minute circuit training

THURSDAY- 30 minute bike ride

FRIDAY- skinny ***** booty bounce (workout dvd)
    - 30 minute circuit training

SATURDAY- 30 minute walk

SUNDAY- rest

*the "skinny ****** workout dvd's are available online (cheaper on ebay) i HIGHLY recommend them, they're awesome.. :flowerforyou:

if this is to intense you could always switch it up, this routine is just amazing for TONING. i love it. :heart: :smile:
  • shandibrooke
    Options
    didnt know swears were edited out on here.. the ***** is b*tch! :wink:
  • taranicole8402
    Options
    Hello!

I just started at the gym myself. I had a personal trainer there advise me on how to start. He recommended cardio 6 days a week for 45 minutes a day. He said not to include the warming up or cooling down periods in the 45 minutes. He said that I should be sweating and breathing heavily for that time. "You can still talk, but should be having difficultly because you're out of breath" breathing. He recommended when you're "In the zone" to push yourself a little harder, like running 0.5 mph faster for 1 minute, 2-3 times throughout your routine. Anyway, today was my first day and I'm feeling good, really energized. Good luck to both of us!

PS: @Onesnap, I love the advice about taking a class (or two). That sounds like a great idea! I'm excited about trying a few classes at my gym :)