Harrisburg, PA

Options
rderrickwhite
rderrickwhite Posts: 69 Member
Is anyone here from Harrisburg, or has anyone ever been? I may be transferred soon, and I'm trying to get some insight.

Replies

• Jeannebop4
    Options
    I grew up there, but I moved when I was 20, so I only have insight into what bars I could get into with my fake ID and other useless teenage knowledge. I won't tell you about where to get the best stromboli ever, because then you'll curse me when you're addicted. Downtown near the river is pretty, and they have RiverFests and regattas and art fairs there. There used to be a concert venue in the middle of the river on what was called City Island, but I'm not sure if it's still there. Anything specific you want to know?
  • skinnylynnie74
    skinnylynnie74 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My whole family lives near there. I grew up on the West Shore, across the river from H-burg. My mom and dad were born and raised in H-Burg, and still live near there. I relocated to Cleveland (yeah, I know right?) 13 years ago, but I miss South Central PA and make it back there at least once per season. It's a very pretty area. The infrastructure was not well planned for all the growth that has occurred and suburban sprawl is eating up the farmland, but all in all, there are much worse places to be transferred to. The city itself is in financial turmoil, so if I were moving there, I would look at homes in neighborhoods like Hershey, Camp Hill, or Mechanicsburg (my hometown!)

City island is still there, with a Minor League baseball stadium (Harrisburg Senators), and a carnival-like atmosphere. Lots to do, and Gettysburg is not too far away, either.

Good luck!
  • rderrickwhite
    rderrickwhite Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    @skinnylynnie7 The working location would actually be Mechanicsburg
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I've not been to Harrisburg, but I used to attend Westminster College which is about an hour north of Pittsburgh. Pennsylvania is a gorgeous state, and the Amish culture is one I was not familiar with until I lived in that area.

That being said... prepare for the weather to change at any given moment. ANY given moment. I literally witnessed a half-hour period that went from overcast, to sunny, to HAIL, back to sunny again, back to overcast...
  • skinnylynnie74
    skinnylynnie74 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    @skinnylynnie7 The working location would actually be Mechanicsburg

Love Mechanicsburg! Born and raised there, lived there for first two years I was married (until hubby got a job in Ohio). There are a lot of homes of great historical and architectural interest there. It's pretty and green most of the summer.
  • MariaYaremchak
    MariaYaremchak Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I currently live and work in central PA. Grew up in Middletown (near Harrisburg, where TMI is located) and moved to the West Shore about 16 years ago. I live in Camp Hill and work in Mechanicsburg. I can answers you might have. Its a nice area.
  • Sapiorapunzel
    Sapiorapunzel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I live in Mechanicsburg and love it!
  • MrAcavano
    MrAcavano Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I’m a Shippensburg University grad. Many many years ago but we use to take trips to Harrisburg all the time. It was and, as most have said, still is a great little city.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I was a total and complete outsider with no connection to rural central PA, or Northeast weather.

I find that geographically it is unique, interesting, and quite habitable.

Cultural there is a very strong core, and it is critical to fit in to be happy.

Anyone from anywhere can go to New York or Los Angeles and make. It felt like everyone in central PA is from central PA. It was a hostility, it was more like "why are you here, you aren't from here are you?" I embraced being alone, and after a couple of years sold my house and moved away.

So real green and pretty landscape.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    It "WASN'T" a hostility....