Family dinners (with kids)

IndigoVA
IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
I generally do all the cooking my house, for my husband and 2 small children (ages 2 and 5). I have trouble trying to think of things to make that my family will eat, but will also help me lose weight. For other moms (or dads) in this situation, do you eat something separate from the rest of the family? Or do join you in the family meal? What kinds of things do you make? My husband is also overweight, but my kids are thin (the 5 year old is almost too thin).

Replies

• sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    go to skinnytaste.com. I got a ton of recipes from there that are family and diet friendly, and they are all pretty simple to make, and SO YUMMY!!!
  • lovestobaketoo
    lovestobaketoo Posts: 76 Member
    cooking light has great recipes that my whole family loves!! Very family friendly and has not changed their weight.
    GOOD LUCK!!
  • I make tacos with very lean meat or spaghetti with the same lean meat or something we call "Rice Hot Dish". Two cups uncooked Minute Rice mixed with one lb lean beef and two cans of (almost) fat free cream of celery soup and add soy sauce to taste. It's yummy! Probably has too much sodium, but not that many cals :) I don't cook much, so I mostly rotate that. Other nights we have peanut butter sandwiches or Subway or something.
  • Hottness4Lyfe
    Hottness4Lyfe Posts: 321 Member
    Unless the kids are picky eaters I'd cook the same meal for everybody. Age has nothing to do with developing a healthy lifestyle. But in my house we both usually eat the same protein and maybe different sides... Like when i make turkey burgers...Mine will be the burger topped with veggies and maybe a smashed rutabaga on the side while my daughter may fry some fries and eat hers the traditional way...

Good Luck! I wish you all the success in the world!
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Only if they are having beef I will cook myself fish, (gallbladder issues) but I cook healthy fresh foods, no boxed stuff and eat smaller portions, so that we all eat the same thing....
  • vegetarian218
    vegetarian218 Posts: 40 Member
    I recommend the Biggest Loser Family Cookbook. Lots of easy, yummy recipes for family cooking and lots of libraries carry it. :)
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    I generally do all the cooking my house, for my husband and 2 small children (ages 2 and 5). I have trouble trying to think of things to make that my family will eat, but will also help me lose weight. For other moms (or dads) in this situation, do you eat something separate from the rest of the family? Or do join you in the family meal? What kinds of things do you make? My husband is also overweight, but my kids are thin (the 5 year old is almost too thin).

Everybody eats the same thing in my household. The kiddo and hubs get more snacks than I do; the hubs also gets larger portions than me. Everyone eats mostly healthy, with occasional treats (thinks fondly of the ice cream cones in the back yard yesterday :smile: )
  • christinechipchase
    christinechipchase Posts: 76 Member
    we eat everything like home made pizza and lasana we just use the recipie tool, add all the ingredients and how many people will be eating it and then it gives you your serving in cals and you just add it to your diary xxxx hope this helps xxxx
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    I lucked out with my youngest-she is 5 and she is like a healthfood nut, she would prefer a plate of nothing but fruits and veggies. While i sometimes make slightly different meals or sides, i also try to introduce more "good" foods to the family, especially my 13 year old who has taste buds set on the taste good but bad for you group. Now my husband does do all of the cooking, but in general we make things that we all like, for example grilled chicken, my kids will eat that dipped in bbq sauce and i jsut omit the sauce from mine, they will eat macaroni and cheese and i will eat wild rice with mine, they will eat baked white potatoes and i will eat a baked sweet potato. For veggies i will make a veggie i know they like like corn on the cob and then also one they may not be fond of such as squash and zucchini, they have to at least try it, if they dont like it thats okay but they have to try, after a few attempts even my 13 year old will eat it. Or for example with tacos, the one child likes the meat, beans, cheese, lettuce, sour cream, i make adjsutments to mine so that i am still having the family taco dinner, but without cheese and sour cream and i use my smaller lower cal tortillas versus the crunchy shells or chips they use for theirs. Its the little things that add up.
  • lfcutie
    lfcutie Posts: 103 Member
    i have always cooked with no oil or not frying anything so my whole family is use to that but i do try to be low carb....so i will still make rice or pasta but i will eat just meat and veggies or make myself a big salad with the meat they are having as my topping on my salad.....bbq is great healthy way to cook veggies, fruit and gives it a different flavor.....
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Everyone should eat the same healthy food - set a good example. If you have picky eaters, they can be hungry.

I am the only one that cooks in my house and while they may not love every single meal I have never had anyone else complain or cook for themselves :tongue:
  • bdurls
    bdurls Posts: 128 Member
    I generally cook myself, husband, and son (22 months) the same things. Sometimes I'll just alter things. My husband is not a veggie fan so I'll dish out his meal and add veggies to mine and sons after. But I know it can be tough to find recipes to make everyone happy!
  • ShannaB83185
    ShannaB83185 Posts: 441 Member
    I always eat the same dinners I make for my family. I have learned a lot of it is portion control. Instead of having a huge plate of food or getting 2nds I always measure my food out and use a smaller plate. It's working good so far!
  • Twinmom1221
    Twinmom1221 Posts: 191 Member
    We all eat the same thing. But what I do is I try to sub healthier options in recipes and use the recipe tool to know what I'll be eating. Then during the day I try to eat really well so I don't have to worry about dinner too much.
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    My husband and my 2 year old are the picky ones. My 5 year old will eat just about anything, and yet stays extremely thin. Wish I had her metabolism!

Thanks for the advice.
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 298 Member
    We are a one dinner family. The earlier you start the easier it will be. When we started eating healthier I would add one new thing a week. The first week I changed our pasta to whole wheat. The next I used turkey instead of hamburger. I didn't want to move to fast and face a protest. Five months later, and tonight's dinner is, Homemade Eggplant Parm, even making my own sauce. My oldest (almost 13), will probably try a sample size, but hey it's his choice. I make good food available, if they aren't hungry... there's always tomorrow.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,079 Member
    hard to cook two dinners jus make sumthing you all would like even if ther skinny its good to eat healthy
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    We all eat the same thing, cooked by me. I am just as concerned with what goes into their bodies as mine, so our meals are healthy.
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    I have a very picky 2 year old. I think she's showing signs of growing out of this phase, but for now what I do is put out 3 or 4 items and make sure one of them is going to be something she likes. And I just skip it if it isn't something I should be eating. For example, if I make some kind of meat and veggies I'll make a side dish of pasta, because I know she'll at least eat that. I will not eat the pasta and stick to the meat and veggies. I think this is better than making 2 separate meals, because they don't see their meal as special, and they have the option to eat anything you are eating. And, if they see you enjoying veggies, then hopefully one day they will eat them too.
  • jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    Everyone should eat the same healthy food - set a good example. If you have picky eaters, they can be hungry.

I am the only one that cooks in my house and while they may not love every single meal I have never had anyone else complain or cook for themselves :tongue:
    ^^^^^
    This..
    I have 5 kids, I work part time, and I go to school. I do NOT have time to make separate meals for people. I have a couple picky ones.. They have to try anything I put in front of them.. they don't have to eat it all but they must try it.. As a result, some of my kids like veggies more than others.. I try to make things like chicken nuggets, but baked not fried, or I make normal things and just watch my portions or have a healthy side salad. I figure if I don't show them what it is like to eat healthy they will never learn and its the best thing I have ever done. I used to be a short order chef when my oldest was little (11 now) and she is finally learning to eat different things. They don't eat what I make then they don't eat.