Low Cal Low Sugar "dips"

Options
Hi all!

I'm looking to increase my calorie intake (trying to eat back more exercise calories). I'm hoping to do this by bulking up my snacks during the day rather than binging at night. I usually eat a lot of raw fruit and vegetables for my snacks to keep my sugar levels in balance during the day, so I'm basically looking for some ideas for add-ons that won't ruin that balance. I was thinking that hummus, peanut butter & maybe a couple almonds added with my veggies would be good - but need a bit more variety.

Any ideas on low sugar, lower cal things for me to eat with my veggies & fruit? Or any other snack ideas that will still keep my blood sugar levels in check?

Replies

• blondechic213
    Options
    I came across this recipe yesterday made it last night. It's so yummy and already helped me up my veggie intake. I'm trying it inside of pita bread for lunch today. It can be served cold as a veggie dip and I'm curious to try it warmed up with a little bit of mozzerella cheese as dip for bread or crackers.

Homemade Spinach Dip (makes 6 servings)

Ingredients:

1/2 cup of fresh spinach
    1/2 cup plain non fat yogurt
    3/4 cup no fat plain cream cheese
    2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
    1 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions:

Saute spinach until wilted
    Drain and pat dry
    Place all ingredients in a food processor and enjoy

Calories: 47
    Carbs: 4
    Fat: 1
    Protein: 6
    Sugar: 2
    Sodium: 266
  • methetree
    methetree Posts: 381
    Options
    I use Fage 0% greek yogurt (1/4 to 1/2 cup) and add 1/2 to 1 tsp of Hidden Valley Ranch powder to it.
    Makes a fantastic dip for veggies that has no fat, is high in protein and tastes great!
  • jellycar
    jellycar Posts: 40
    Options
    I came across this recipe yesterday made it last night. It's so yummy and already helped me up my veggie intake. I'm trying it inside of pita bread for lunch today. It can be served cold as a veggie dip and I'm curious to try it warmed up with a little bit of mozzerella cheese as dip for bread or crackers.

Homemade Spinach Dip (makes 6 servings)

Ingredients:

1/2 cup of fresh spinach
    1/2 cup plain non fat yogurt
    3/4 cup no fat plain cream cheese
    2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
    1 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions:

Saute spinach until wilted
    Drain and pat dry
    Place all ingredients in a food processor and enjoy

Calories: 47
    Carbs: 4
    Fat: 1
    Protein: 6
    Sugar: 2
    Sodium: 266

That sounds GOOD!
  • jellycar
    jellycar Posts: 40
    Options
    I use Fage 0% greek yogurt (1/4 to 1/2 cup) and add 1/2 to 1 tsp of Hidden Valley Ranch powder to it.
    Makes a fantastic dip for veggies that has no fat, is high in protein and tastes great!

That sounds like exactly what I need! THANKS!
  • jojigirl
    jojigirl Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Is your calorie count per serving or for the whole thing?
  • blondechic213
    Options
    Is your calorie count per serving or for the whole thing?

per serving, it's about 2oz. Also, I put it in a pita today and it was really good. I'll probably add some grilled chicken slices to it next time for a more filling meal.
  • blondechic213
    Options
    Sorry everyone. It's actually 1 cup of fresh spinach, not 1/2 cup. When you start cooking it, it shrivels up and then it measures at 1/2 cup by the end. The nutritional information doesn't change.
  • lorettatat
    Options
    yummy I am going to make this