Does your dog or pet do this?

Options
Livhere
Livhere Posts: 141 Member
Does your dog or pet freak out during storms too? The weather here is finally starting to change. It's really dark & the sky is colored weird outside, the winds are picking up pretty hard tonight. My dog is losing it right now. Do your pets get like this too during a storm? If so, what do you do to calm them down?

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Yes, we used to have an outside dog who did. We had to let him in. He hugged and kissed us all and went into the utility room (inside room, no windows, dark, quiet) and stayed until it was over or we came to get him.
  • Livhere
    Options
    Aw poor thing! My dog does the opposite of that during a storm. She will either hide under our blankets or she'll basically be trying to climb me to let me know she's scared. Hopefully it's not too bad tonight. We once had a storm for 3 days and she refused to go outside at all during that time to use the restroom. We had puppy pads all over the house.
  • Glazed_and_Confused
    Glazed_and_Confused Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    My big girl hated the storms when we were in Florida. Crating her with some bones/chew toys and covering the crate always helped. You can try a thunder shirt, I haven't personally tried it but have heard positive reviews.
  • Livhere
    Options
    I'll look into that! Thanks! She's finally asleep now. We leave her crate door open in our room so she can go in there if she wants, but she usually doesn't go in there by herself. She'll go hide in the office under the desk or anywhere else in the house before she'll go in her crate.
  • gatorgirlgot8
    gatorgirlgot8 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have 3 indoor dogs, one could care less over any thing including storms, but my lab & beagle are horrified, looking for a place to hide & tremble, I hug them both letting them know they are ok, even letting them up on the sofa with me.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i sometimes give my one dog benadryl so she sleeps thru the storms.
    the thundershirt did nothing. she ate it.
    if i know thunderstorms are coming, i leave all the lights on
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    Storm.. gun fire.. etc. Typical to some dog.

Depending on breed.. some are not used to the boom sound.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    My dogs were frightened by storms. I adjusted them to thunder and lightning by exposing them directly to it.

When a good storm started, I brought them outside. Once they saw that the storm wasn't going to hurt them, they got over their fear. Now, they don't care.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    One dog does, the other doesn't. Haven't found anything to help, so we just let her freak out for an hour, then she's too exhausted to keep freaking and eventually falls asleep.
  • mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    Options
    My dog didn't used to. But as she got older, she does. Right about 2 ish years ago, she started crying when she was inside her crate during thunderstorms. My mom had to go stay with her, until she stopped. I think its apart of growing older, they hear things differently.