Does anyone else's body seem to hold onto weight for grim death when starting to cut?

Options
This really annoys me, I go through the same struggle every time I try to cut down. Through myself straight into the deep end this week in order to try and get things moving a bit quicker, strict 1300 calorie limit per day. Last Thursday I weighed 78.9kg, this morning I weight 78.9kg exactly. I actually thought my scales may have been broke so I put on boots and got dressed to make sure it actually moved lol. I'll be honest for someone who maintains calories at around 2400-2800 this past week killed me and it is quite disheartening.

This isn't surprising though, 4 years ago I lost 30kg, I started my diet Jan 1st, the scales did not budge 1lb until Mid Feb when I lost 12lbs in 1 week. After that, it was plain sailing though a consistent 1kg each week following.

Does anyone know why this happens or anyone else suffer this? Really just have to trust the process, I know the results will come.

Replies

• Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Water weight, likely.

You didn't lose 12 lbs of body weight (non-water) in a week, unless you chopped off a limb (not recommended).

Keep your tracking on point (weigh everything) and you'll be fine.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I wouldn’t trust the process you are using. You are seriously under eating for a short sedentary older man, which you are not.

You are not that person, and are weight lifting, interested in hypertrophy.

Eating 1300 cals even for a short time is counter productive. Give yourself a reasonable deficit 0.5-1lbs a week, then trust the process.

You do want to lose a bit of weight while retaining muscle and progressing in your lifts don’t you?

Cheers, h.

ETA: stress and cortisol are most probably causing water retention and hiding any weight loss.