Pushing through your workouts

Options
How do you personally push through your workouts when just starting off? Tips on not over exerting? Working out alone sucks, but I cant rely on others to workout with me.

Replies

• springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Pushing thru=results. Pop some pain killers if it hurts too much, wait an hour then workout. Also, tiger balm works wonders. You'll be happy you did.
  • PJFaber
    PJFaber Posts: 47
    Options
    I do it one minute at a time. I tell my self just anyother minute. Then another, and then another. Soon I have talked myself into doing more than I thought I could. Just a little farther each day.
  • Gabika
    Gabika Posts: 26
    Options
    where do you apply tiger balm?
    yep it hurts all the time
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I work out alone all the time. I almost prefer it now.

Here are a couple of tips that work for me.

Pick a big goal that you want to achieve (run a 5k, run a marathon, climb a mountain, ride 100 mi ....) Then make small intermediate goals (eg run 20 minutes with out stopping) that gives you plenty of achievable things to work towards. When you are exercising and it is hurting focus on how good it will feel to have achieved that goal, think about standing at the finish line knowing you just ran 26 mi....

Get some good music and plenty of it. Try to find music with tempo that matches your workout intensity

Practice positive self talk and distraction (day dream about laying on the beach looking sexy...) Tell your self you can do it and you wont allow yourself to quit. If you arent' in a gym say it outloud it can be more convincing that way.

Measure your progress. Track heart rate, distance, time for each type of exercise then you know exactly how hard to push yourself, and you can be motivated by your progress
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    where do you apply tiger balm?
    yep it hurts all the time

Wherever it hurts. :)
  • benjaminlaycock
    Options
    Do your workout first thing in the morning. I know it is hard at first, but I have done it for three weeks now and I would not have it any other way. It is the first thing that you do and you get finished with it before you talk yourself out of working out. Then, the rest of the day you do not have to worry about throughout the day.
  • MichaelaaJ
    MichaelaaJ Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Find something fun! I recently started Zumba- its fun for me because I like to dance and be silly, as geeky as it sounds sometimes I dance around my house by myself as a workout. I still get my heart rate up and get a sweat going, and its fun!

Dancing isn't for everyone, but there are probably things you enjoy that you can work into your workouts.

On days that it is hard I start with little goals, like at least walk for 30 mins.. then (most days) I notice once I start whatever I have to "at least" do, I start to feel better and want to continue. And on days I don't, I don't- just make sure your calorie intake allows for it. :)

*New here! Feel free to add me :)*
  • kimmermcb
    kimmermcb Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Find something fun! I recently started Zumba- its fun for me because I like to dance and be silly, as geeky as it sounds sometimes I dance around my house by myself as a workout. I still get my heart rate up and get a sweat going, and its fun!

Dancing isn't for everyone, but there are probably things you enjoy that you can work into your workouts.

On days that it is hard I start with little goals, like at least walk for 30 mins.. then (most days) I notice once I start whatever I have to "at least" do, I start to feel better and want to continue. And on days I don't, I don't- just make sure your calorie intake allows for it. :)

*New here! Feel free to add me :)*
    Yeah, I have found on the days where I REALLY dont want to workout Dance Central helps me though :o) friend request sent!
  • kimmermcb
    kimmermcb Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Do your workout first thing in the morning. I know it is hard at first, but I have done it for three weeks now and I would not have it any other way. It is the first thing that you do and you get finished with it before you talk yourself out of working out. Then, the rest of the day you do not have to worry about throughout the day.
    I find myself putting it off, so first thing in the morning is probably the best time for me. Thank you for responding :o)
  • fyfi_fendir
    fyfi_fendir Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Start with easier things. Losing weight is more about cardio than strength exercise and the pain should be fairly minimal. Imagine your body has to move all that extra weight... so give it time to adapt to your new lifestyle.
    I personally bought a Wii fit. The best buy I have ever made. Easy enough, burn enough calorie, don't have to leave my home ( I personally feel self conscious for other people to see me), don't need anyone else to do it with me, and has plenty of various exercise so you don't get bored.
    Don't try to go from not exercising to running 20 min... would be very counter productive...
  • glenner
    glenner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    PUSH THROUGH!!! I remember going to exercise class, hating it and wanting to quit. But I kept going, stayed in the back row, ignored everyone else and did what I could. It takes about 6 weeks before you really feel comfortable but it is worth it- if you don't push through, you won't ever progress. I am also trying early morning workouts so that it is out of the way. Good luck!
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    My sister took me jogging and said that for teh first ten minutes it would be bad. Your legs will be filling with acid and that hurts. But once they are full it stops hurting and you're off...

You knwo what, she was right. I'd had lactic acid build up before of course, and broken through many pain barriers, but actually thinking of it liek this, like my muscles filling up, really helps me think that the pain is a good thing :o)