Safe upper limit for protein consumption in women

Does anyone know what the safe upper limit is for protein consumption in women? My protein is already pretty high, and I don't want to stress my kidneys (or other organs). I weigh about 150lbs (68kg), and I regularly consume about 85-100g protein daily without really trying. I'm active though - I lift weights, run, and kickbox. Currently, my protein is about 1.3g/kg body weight. Problem is, I eat pretty "clean", and a lot of my foods are naturally high in protein. (For example, just one scoop of my protein powder is 196 calories, and 45g protein).

Thoughts? How high can you go before you start to unintentionally hurt your body more than help? Researched opinions and professionals are more than welcome to answer! :)

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    I think your current consumption sounds about fine - I aim for 100g per day.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    i shoot for 120- 150 g per day
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    I am in maintenance mode - strength training, also eating clean(er), etc. and was just told to up my protein and carbs to 180g each, so you should be fine.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    I'm interested to hear responses to this, too, as I weigh about the same, my protein intake is about the same and that's about my activity level as well.
  • lukybug
    lukybug Posts: 209
    I aim for 99 grams a day. There was just a great podcast by Jillian Michael's about protein intake for people on different fitness and weight loss levels. I would definitely suggest listening to it.
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    BUMP
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    According to this link the average body can absorb and process about 168g of protein a day: http://weighttraining.about.com/od/nutritionforweights/qt/protein_howmuch.htm Anything far beyond that is probably just going to be excreted out unless you are doing *extremely* heavy lifting.

My goal is set to 25% protein (25% fat and 50% carbs - I like carbs and it doesn't seem to bother me) which works out to a little over 100g a day. I consider it a good day if I break 90g though.
  • My doctor told me to aim for 60-100 grams of protein each day.
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    I have never heard of a difference between women and men. I think 1g/lb of bodyweight is a good amount to shoot for in a healthy woman that lifts.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Thanks everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • My doctor told me to aim for 60-100 grams of protein each day.

Sorry - I just saw the "upper" part of your post title - my bad. I'm not sure what the max is....the range my doc gave was a minimum and goal range to aim for. I have gone over on many occassion though.