Need "no-knees!" workout suggestions

Options
Bad knee, waiting for MRI appointment. In the meantime, have gained back 3 lbs partially because I'm not working out (other part, eating like I AM working out lol). Anything that could keep me moving that doesn't use my knees at all? I have a pool, so water stuff helpful too! I would like to burn some calories and get some cardio benefit. Thanks!

Replies

• SlimLittleMrs
    Options
    water aerobics - ie: aquasize, karataquatics, etc
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I have subluxing patellas (if you don't know, you probably don't want to), so I hear ya. Since I can't run, I swim laps. Lots and lots of laps. Maybe try crunches as well? I know how hard it is when you struggle to even walk, though I always found hobbling around in an immobilizer to be quite the workout :wink:
  • lostemt76
    lostemt76 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I agree and thing in the water would be great. I spent at least a hour 5 days a week in the pool
  • mashanda
    mashanda Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    water exercises are fine. google pool workouts or water workouts.
  • ebert5150
    ebert5150 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Elliptical and adaptive motion trainers don't bang the knees. Not sure if just the flexing will hurt your knees though. They both burn tons of calories though.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Me too (waiting on MRI)- but I went to my Crossfit box and they gave me a 20 minute workout (as many reps as possible) of 10 push ups, 20 russian twist with med ball, 10 toes to bar (or v-sit), and 20 calories on the Airdyne (a type of bike).
    Yesterday I did 20 minutes on the elliptical, push ups, wood choppers with med ball, med ball toss with my husband, bench press, sit ups and hanging cleans.
  • spencemr
    spencemr Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would suggest swimming laps. Beyond that it depends on what's wrong with your knee. I would ask the Dr what he/she suggests. Sometimes folks with knee problems can get away with low impact workouts like walking or biking. Weight training, pilates, and some yoga might work too. You may not lose pounds with those, but you will tone up which will make you look thinner since fat is just a blob and muscle is a nice defined shape. Also, muscle actually burns some fat so that's always a bonus.
  • krisntraining
    krisntraining Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I would try cycling. I tore my ACL 4 days before an MS 150 bike ride and still rode all 150 miles! It was difficult to walk but I had no pain riding the bike. I hope the doc says it's nothing too serious!