walking just isnt doing it! how long should I start joggin?

Options
I walk and I've been using this site since 7/12 - I use it daily. I've lost 10lbs (and I weigh 200lbs at 5'4 i've been using this site for almost two months) so far just by watching what i eat and walking, but I feel like walkings not enough!! I have a walking buddy and we only meet up two times a week (tuesday & thursday) and we'll walk a mile, we walk a mile in 30 minutes (we start out fast, but end up talking and slowing down pace) I dont feel that it's enough for me.

I thought about maybe going into the field behind my house and jogging, but what would be a good time to start with? 30 minutes? I'm not used to jogging/running so that would be challenge for me. -- I think I should jog everyday atleast.

I still plan to walk with my friend on Tuesday & Thursday but i'd like to be able to do something by myself that would really push me so I could start seeing some MORE WEIGHT LOSS. I thought by september 12th I would have lost 15lbs.

Replies

• aalanclose
    aalanclose Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    have you tried even a short 100m jog? i know when i was heavier i found it very uncomfortable what with bouncing body parts, maybe up the distance or speed you walk might help.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I would try the Couch to 5k program, it will ease you into this.
  • Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    start jogging M/W and do the walk T/TR. Jog for distance or time. Start out and see how far or long you can go. Remember that time/distance and try to increase5-10% weekly until you build up your endurance. Mix it up. Long slow jog on Monday, do a sprint / walk on Wed. reat the T/TR walks as recovery...add in something Sat and use F/ Sun as rest.
  • aunt_hbomb
    aunt_hbomb Posts: 204
    Options
    Try the C25K program. It is awesome. Details are on Active.com.

Who would think you could train for a 5K in 8 weeks.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Try alternating walk/jog...for awhile then gradually increase your jogging spurts.
  • mashanda
    mashanda Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    you can pick up your walking pace. also add in some strength training. maybe like a video Jillian michaels 30 day shred you could do that three times a week (25 minutes).
  • RissaDean
    RissaDean Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Seriously - google C25k. There's a free app you can download to your ipod or whatever, and it will tell you when to walk, run, slow back down, you're doing great! etc, all set to music. Pretty kick @$$ :)

I started the C25k a long time ago, but hurt my knee doing other dumb stuff and stopped. I'm starting again tonight, if you want an online C25k buddy :)
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    C25K is great or just wear a watch and do 2 mins walking then one of jogging and then the next week up it to 2mins of each and keep upping it till you can jog the whole time!!! Thats how I started and I can run a 5K now without walking at all!!
  • xAdrianax
    xAdrianax Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    with jogging you need to ease yourself into it.

If you havent before im not sure aiming for 30 mins would be a good idea.

At the beginning of the year i couldnt run to the end of my road without stopping. You have to start with small runs and just focus on getting through it non stop, like one week do a couple of ten minute runs and then a couple of 15 min ones and keep at it until you feel comfortable and then build it up!!

Thats what i did and also on marathon training sites these give you a timetable to follow and they build it up like that too! If you are not used to running 10 minutes at first non stop will feel quite hard and long!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Absolutely agree with the suggestions for Couch to 5k. www.c25k.com
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Another C25K vote, I just completed week 9 of the program. I was an AVID walker before this but had never run, running is it's own workout and needs to be started slowly so you don't injure yourself or get discouraged. The c25k is an awesome way to work up to running 30 min at a time!

The first stop you need to make is to a running store to be fitted for some running shoes so that you don't injure yourself.

If you find you don't like running, don't do it. You can walk away tons of weight, you should run just because you WANT to run. I walked off the first 50lbs so you absolutely can lose lots of weight "just walking".

Good luck!!
  • smkcx♥
    smkcx♥ Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Another C25K vote, I just completed week 9 of the program. I was an AVID walker before this but had never run, running is it's own workout and needs to be started slowly so you don't injure yourself or get discouraged. The c25k is an awesome way to work up to running 30 min at a time!

The first stop you need to make is to a running store to be fitted for some running shoes so that you don't injure yourself.

If you find you don't like running, don't do it. You can walk away tons of weight, you should run just because you WANT to run. I walked off the first 50lbs so you absolutely can lose lots of weight "just walking".

Good luck!!

I know I can lose weight walking, but walking with my friend isn't such a great idea lol I need to walk on my own the other 3 days a week and I just want to mix things up.
    THANK YOU.
  • InaWarZone
    Options
    Walking IS enough for you, just more than 2 miles per week at 2miles per hour.

Should be more like 5x per week, for an hour and at a pace that elevates your heart rate. Get a HRM and learn about what aerobic exercise actually is.

Or just walk as fast as you can for a half hour. Your little doddles with your friend aren't doing a thing for you.
  • musikmanzim
    Options
    I started Couch 2 5k today and it was a nice workout. I averaged about 4 miles an hour but the first day is mostly walking. I used the App for my android phone and it was great.
  • neela31
    neela31 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I think C25K is a great idea. If you don't want a formal program, you can always start doing intervals. Start off slow and work your way up.
  • risak
    risak Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Walking IS enough for you, just more than 2 miles per week at 2miles per hour.

Should be more like 5x per week, for an hour and at a pace that elevates your heart rate. Get a HRM and learn about what aerobic exercise actually is.

Or just walk as fast as you can for a half hour. Your little doddles with your friend aren't doing a thing for you.

I walk home from work and it takes me about 25 min to walk 1.5 miles. Then I walk my dog at about 3.0 mph for at least another mile. And that's everyday. This mild exercise has helped me maintain the 30 lbs I lost on Medifast over the past 6 months. And also helped me keep it off as I transition to real food.

I would definitely up your pace, to get your heart rate up.

Also interval training - walk for 2 min jog for 1 min is a great way to get into jogging. I hate running but now that I have been fast walking my dog for a year now I can run on the treadmill for about 8-10 min without stopping. I honestly don't remember when I was ever able to do that.

It's also a lot easier now (30 lbs lighter) to run. Cause "the girls" shrank and it's not so uncomfortable anymore.

Just take it slowly. If you go into this planning on jogging 30 min you will hate it and give up. Or at least that's what I would do ;)
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I really can’t give you any help on your food intake because your diary is closed. I’m a runner & remember when I couldn't run a ¼ mile without getting winded. Try power walking.., & don’t forget…, we give up long before we really should. Good luck!