What can make my period cramps less painful?

Options
I feel like I'm giving birth, I'm an emotional wreck & I'm in so much pain :/

Replies

• lovinlife71
    Options
    Exercise!
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    heating pad and you need to see someone...that is not normal.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Running!!! I felt like I was going to die the other day so after sulking around I went for a walk which turned into a run. You don't really have to run but some sort of exertion will help. I know it's hard but it'll help during and a bit after. Good luck =]
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    a TON of chocolate, literally.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Exercise!

That's what I do as well. Getting the motivation to do it is difficult, but once I get warmed up I start to feel relief.
  • MC0301
    MC0301 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor - I used to get horrible cramps & act emotional over the silliest little things until my doctor prescribed me birth control pills. It really helps =)
  • moprincess76
    Options
    I agree.. exercise.. before i started on this path my cramps were unbearable. literally bed ridden for a day and a half ... well i started this at the tail end of TOM.. well when it came around again.. nothing a cup of hot tea and a ibuprofen couldnt handle......
  • MandaLen13
    MandaLen13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I was like you...doubled over in pain for hours during the first few days. I finally went to the hospital and my doctor prescribed me Naproxen. Its the medicine in Alieve but the prescription was for a much higher dosage. It really helped. I would take it a day or two before my period and I would never even feel a cramp. I stopped taking it about a year ago because my husband and I are trying to conceive and Naproxen is supposed to be harmful to babies but as long as you're not wanting to get pregnant then its very safe and it worked miracles for me.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    That's how my periods were. My mom made me get on birth control pills when I was 15 because I would scream huddled in the fetal position for hours. I would also throw up and pass out. The docs did an ultrasound of my uterus while the cramps were happening and stated that what I was experiencing really was equivalent to labor pains. The birth control (hormones) took it all away. :)
  • techymum
    techymum Posts: 168
    Options
    I'd go visit your doctor. Some have harder periods than others.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    i find exercising actually helps! if not, a bubble bath with warm water or heating pad. :)
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Orgasm.

Or have your uterus removed.
  • Hannahluux
    Options
    I'm on the Implant at the moment, which I don't think helps :/ & exercising puts me in more pain.. :r It's really weird. & I've ate a ton of chocolate today & now I just feel fat :')
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have heard cutting down on or eliminating caffeine can help.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Sex and a real hard orgasm.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I agree on the birthcontrol.. If the implant is not helping, see if your doc will let you switch.

I was like you.. cramps that start in the front, wrap around to the back and down to my tailbone.. I couldn't walk or sit without arching my back and freezeing because I was in so much pain!

I take Loestrin 24(a low dose pill) and it has helped wonders!
  • Krahn1984
    Krahn1984 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I agree - heating pad, birth control and Midol works for me!
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor.

I had terrible cramps and nausea every time I had a period. Exercise, heating pads, pain medication did not help. Turns out I had fibroids. I took birth control pills to moderate the discomfort. Eventually, I had a hysterectomy in my mid 40's because the fibroids continued to grow. I still have my ovaries, but I am completely pain and period free. I love it.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/yoga-and-health/yoga-for-dysmenorrhea-and-pms.asp

Yoga positions that help with cramps! They actually work for me, no joke.
  • cschu544
    cschu544 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    The more you exercise, the better it is.. honestly. I still can't function on day one of my period, I just have horrible cramps.. The ONLY thing that works for me is advil liquid gels.. ONLY thing.