eating

Options
Hey i need a bit of help....im trying not to eat as much as i do...but im finding it really hard to stop eating in the evenings, its kind of like a nibble because i get bored...im not actually hungry =s
any suggestions would really help =]

Thank you =]

Replies

• ambleburner
    Options
    Hey i need a bit of help....im trying not to eat as much as i do...but im finding it really hard to stop eating in the evenings, its kind of like a nibble because i get bored...im not actually hungry =s
    any suggestions would really help =]

Thank you =]
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    ...sorry, I meant to post to something else...:flowerforyou:
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Have some water on you! That always helps me, also try 100 calorie popcorn, leave room for it in your calories, it lasts a long time when your snacking on it.

~Leash
  • plumpgirl
    Options
    I like the special K protein water. If that doesn't sound good, I suggest a really good cup of tea sans sugar and cream.
  • gueneveredawn
    Options
    Keep your mouth busy doing other things... like chewing gum!:wink:
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    There's nothing that says you have to nibble on things that are unhealthy. No one ever gained weight eating vegetables. Try nibbling on those. Carrots, celery, radishes - eat veggies until you're ready to pass out...it helps so much. :smile:

It is great that you've identified a very important eating trigger. This will certainly help you conquer it! Maybe try getting up and doing something physical away from the food - take a walk, talk on the phone. Brush your teeth - it helps you avoid wanting to eat. Do something with your hands so that nibbling is inconvenient - learn to crochet, sew a new outfit or knit. Do you eat while you're on your computer? If not, type until the urge leaves your mind - even if it is writing a letter to yourself explaining why you are doing this. Go to the gym, grab your childs' math book (if you have children), and do some of the problems just to occupy yourself. Play with a new hairstyle - get your clothes ready for the next week (iron, put together new outfits).

The thing to do when you are a bored-eater (as am I) is to occupy your mind and body at the same time. The more inconvenient you make it for your hands to be free, the better.

You can get over this....I promise.
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I have the same problem.

A couple things that seem to work well for me:

1 mentally telling myself "the kitchen is closed"...I cant go in there. And it does take time to work up to making yourself not go in.

2 having a lo cal snack by 7 p.m. ( I try really hard not to eat anything after that time). the one that works the best for me is Oatmeal (1/2 cup quick oats, made by pouring 2/3 c boiling water on it in a bowl...NOT boiled on the stove like the directions say :sick:. I put in 3 tsp br sugar, about a tsp cinnamon and top it w/ 1/4 c dannon 0% fat vanilla light and fit yogurt. Yum! Hated oatmeal before I tried it like this). You're so full after this that honestly, it stops the munchies in their tracks!

3 brush your teeth after your last meal...floss too (got this from someone else on this website.

4 air popped popcorn with a spritz of 'I cant believe its not butter'.

Most of all, I learned to listen to my body...since I know that I tend to get munchie at night, I save enough calories back during the day to make sure I can have something at night in a snack. There are a ton of great low cal options to satisfy whatever you crave...just gotta be mindful about what and when and how much.

Hope this helps!
  • leafylee
    Options
    kerr round lolli pops. they are 45 calories and it takes a good 20 minutes to suck one. i have 2 of these if i need to keep my mouth busy and it works pretty well. just try not to do it every night. your teeth will not be happy.