I'm useless

Options
I have started with this app so many times and given up I know it works just need to stick with it if your reading this and you think you could help me stick to it by motivating me to keep going when things get hard then please send me a friend request I'm 4 ft ten and 180 pounds would love some active friends please thank you

Replies

• nedburchell
    nedburchell Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I thought that was me typing that! :D Yes I feel your pain! Upteenth time round for me as well -it definitely works, I on the other hand need a kick up the bum! Off on hols next Saturday and am committing myself from October 1st to get back on it with avengence! Good luck to us both!
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I have started with this app so many times and given up I know it works just need to stick with it if your reading this and you think you could help me stick to it by motivating me to keep going when things get hard then please send me a friend request I'm 4 ft ten and 180 pounds would love some active friends please thank you

What are your biggest obstacles at the moment?
  • lps1dragonfly
    lps1dragonfly Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Oh same! Been on mfo for years!! A few years ago I was doing awesome! Running lifting and lost 15# broke my foot and almost two years later I'm still struggling! Ugh! Trying to really focus this past month! I'll FR you for sure. Hopefully we can help each other.
  • denjan333
    denjan333 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Personally, I feel that motivation is fleeting at best. It’s the habits that we learn that stay with us. Start small if you’re struggling with making big changes. Just start with logging everything. No matter what. Do that until you feel confident with it. Then change one meal every day into something healthier. Or start an exercise program or walking, every day. Build the habits. Learn your triggers. How are you feeling when you eat? Why are you eating?

Be kind to yourself amd celebrate every step you take toward a healthy lifestyle. And don’t expect perfection. No one is perfect. If you overeat one meal or day, try to learn from it, log it, and try again tomorrow. You csn do it. You know it. Believe it.
  • kellyswimmer
    kellyswimmer Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I find weighing myself every day and recording the weight really helps. Join us . We record on the post. Just give it onre month september.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Just want to give you a bit of encouragement. You CAN do this! Take your time and be kind to yourself. 🌞

(I'm 4'9" and have gone, VERY slowly, from 190 pounds to 100 pounds.)
  • secno1
    secno1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    There are always set backs. If you get injured isolate another area If you want gel advice please add and ask
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    Options
    Start with this- don’t kick yourself for struggling. No one was born counting calories. Our bodies are designed in a way that we can consume excess calories and store them as fat to help see us through hard times later. For most of us the hard times never arrive. Mother Nature just didn’t plan on this much food.

So we have to learn to operate within some limits. But in doing it, we’re kind of pushing against our natural tendencies. Or as a friend put it- What do you think would happen if we took a caveman to an all you can eat buffet?

Try this- start a food diary and never stop. Over your number? Log it. Wildly over? Log that to? Just dragging yourself through the motions today? Do it anyway. You just can’t work at it when you’re feeling motivated and enthusiastic. Determination will get you a lot farther than motivation.

It takes a lot of persistence to lose a significant amount and keep it gone. Face problems one at a time and solve them. Try to keep an attitude of experimentation. Make your food diary the center of your effort and you will never have to start again. Just keep logging no matter what. Calorie counting works given enough time. You can do it.
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Do I want the instant gratification of eating those cookies OR Do I want to find out how fit I can get.
    That is the monster I have to slay everyday! And sometimes the cookie monster wins! But I don't give up and I don't let the negative thoughts rule me. I see it for what it is... not the end, but a place to learn and be kind to myself.

On Kelly Roberts Podcast Run, Selfie, Repeat she always says "I don't know if I can do it, but let's find out one small victory at a time. There is no more "Good" and "Bad", just experience, if I admit that I don't know then how can any of it have a label?

I never thought I could be a runner, but a friend turned me onto the Jeff Gollaway Method (Run / Walk / Run) running 30 seconds and walking for a minute. As I kept doing that, I could go further and faster. I know I will never be a "FAST" runner, but I am a runner. Even at 12 minute miles!
    I eventually made it to running 1:30 and walking 30 seconds... Now, I just go run. Some days it is a fulfilling run and some days I feel like a brick..... but it is just another run and I log it.
    Good Luck, be kind to yourself and others;
    Add me if you like,
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,258 Member
    Options
    Do I want the instant gratification of eating those cookies OR Do I want to find out how fit I can get.
    That is the monster I have to slay everyday! And sometimes the cookie monster wins! But I don't give up and I don't let the negative thoughts rule me. I see it for what it is... not the end, but a place to learn and be kind to myself.

On Kelly Roberts Podcast Run, Selfie, Repeat she always says "I don't know if I can do it, but let's find out one small victory at a time. There is no more "Good" and "Bad", just experience, if I admit that I don't know then how can any of it have a label?

I never thought I could be a runner, but a friend turned me onto the Jeff Gollaway Method (Run / Walk / Run) running 30 seconds and walking for a minute. As I kept doing that, I could go further and faster. I know I will never be a "FAST" runner, but I am a runner. Even at 12 minute miles!
    I eventually made it to running 1:30 and walking 30 seconds... Now, I just go run. Some days it is a fulfilling run and some days I feel like a brick..... but it is just another run and I log it.
    Good Luck, be kind to yourself and others;
    Add me if you like,

I used to like running it always made me feel great but now I am old my knees just can't take it, enjoy your runs!
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,258 Member
    Options
    I lose then gain all the time mainly due to holidays, birthday parties, events next few months is lovely but a nightmare to cut back on food, 2 holidays booked, Halloween party, 4 birthday parties and christmas but I am learning to roll with it and not beat myself up over it life is too short at aged 56 I think it's more important to enjoy things!