Protein

Options
I need some help getting my protein higher and carbs lower, I want to eat REAL food though.............can someone help?? Several of my friends have lost a ton of weight eating more protein but it is all bars, not sure that is how I want to eat in front of my kids all the time.

THANK YOU!!!

Replies

• sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    I have the SAME problem! Hope you get some good answers!!
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    chicken, Greek yogurt, fish, nuts, turkey - to name a few
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Tilapia has high protien and very low carb, in fact I think theres none.. I just buy frozen and cook it up, but I love fish.. Don't know if you do..
  • StixFight
    StixFight Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I totally understand on not living off protein shakes & bars...try increasing your intake of low fat cheese, low fate/ fat-free yogurt, turkey breast, chicken breast, egg whites & fish.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you'll find even more great suggestions if you enter protein in the search button above.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    You can go look at my diary; my carbs are set for 20% and protein for 30%. Eating good quality protein sources like eggs, fish, seafood, lean red meat, chicken and turkey will help get you on your way. I know what you mean about bloat! Belly disappeared when I stopped eating grains and especially beans.
  • mpalczew
    mpalczew Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Here are my favorites for
    High protein low everything else
    Chicken breast, tuna, turkey lunch meat, canned salmon. Casein protein(I like this because it tastes fine mixed in water and digests slowly). low fat cottage cheese.

High protein, low carb, moderate fat.
    Beef like roast beef, various steaks(not all of them).

One of my favorite things is frozen berries thawed in the microwave and enough whey protein powder to thicken the mixture just a touch.
    I use 30g protein for half a pound of berries. I weigh both. Some carbs but not too many.

I probably missed some, but these are foods I have found the most useful.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Hey so I'm a vegetarian and I try to do 40% of my intake as protein (one gram/pound). I eat a lot of whey protein powder - but I don't have it as shakes. I use it in my cooking! So I have oats with blueberries in the morning, I add vanilla protein powder to the water they are cooked in. Bonus is that I don't need to add milk or sugar afterwards :) I blend greek yoghurt and chocolate protein powder and add some sliced fruit for a delicious "chocolate mousse" afternoon snack. Aside from that eggs, dairy, nuts, black beans, cottage cheese etc are all great protein sources, and tuna/chicken if you are that way inclined :P Good luck!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    eggs, grilled chicken, ground turkey, ground chicken, greek yogurt, cottage cheese.
  • lovestobaketoo
    lovestobaketoo Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!! You all have shared some much, now it is time for me to get to work! Thanks for the support
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine was rushed to the hospital (she had passed out at work) b/c all she was eating were protein bars and shakes. I am a fan of eating real food.
  • meowthania
    Options

One of my favorite things is frozen berries thawed in the microwave and enough whey protein powder to thicken the mixture just a touch.

huzzah! I love that too...I was actually kind of thinking I was a weirdo... <3