Terrible binge: 1000 calories over my goal

Options
2»

Replies

• goatelope
    goatelope Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is a new day! You sound a lot like me....once I slip, even just a little (or even if it's not actually a slip but *I* think it is) then in my mind, I justify a binge because I've already ruined EVERYTHING.

A very wise woman once explained this simply to me:

If you were carrying a carton of eggs and you dropped one, would you just throw the entire carton on the floor and break the 11 other eggs?
    Tomorrow is a new day! You sound a lot like me....once I slip, even just a little (or even if it's not actually a slip but *I* think it is) then in my mind, I justify a binge because I've already ruined EVERYTHING.

A very wise woman once explained this simply to me:

If you were carrying a carton of eggs and you dropped one, would you just throw the entire carton on the floor and break the 11 other eggs?

Exactly this. I had at least 2 chances to pull it round today but I kept going, I felt I had already ruined it all. God it’s annoying.!
  • goatelope
    Options
    I received what I felt was very good advice earlier in my journey that really helped me stay on track. When we get off track we tend to get mad at ourselves and spiral out of control. Next thing we know we decide nothing matters any more and we find ourselves binging even more. Forgive yourself sooner. You are human. We make mistakes. It’s what we do. Don’t beat yourself up. Don’t wait until tomorrow to get back on track. Get back on track at the next meal. Log the food and move on. Eat a sensible meal at your next scheduled meal time. If the binge happened early in the day this can be tough to ignore that you are already over calories. If you normally would have eaten a 300 calorie meal, do that. Don’t try to cut it too much and set yourself up for feeling too restricted. Then binging yet again...

I have eaten over my goal by over 1000 calories in one day. 2000 calories even. Sometimes because I was off track. Sometimes because I chose to indulge at a social event. Finding a way to treat my food diary solely as data has relieved a lot of the emotional swings on this journey for me.

This is really helpful - thanks. Agree when I feel too restricted it precipitates a binge. But I do also binge when I want comfort and there is so little else in my life besides food!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    i know I think food solves everything. Realize you can be lonely, stressed or fat and lonely and stressed. Nothing positive with the overeating. This seems to help me. I know I will feel guilt and disappointed when getting on those scales in the morning. We have all done it, get back on track and start again, you can do it!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    There are two things.. first you just went over your calories by 1000. You could work those off. Get on the elliptical for one hour twice this week..and those calories will be burned off. You could also cut a few hundred calories a day to offset the splurge also.

The second thing is that you didn't just eat over.. you went for cake and a sundae and called it a binge..so I figure you binge on sweets and that is the culprit of your weight gain. It is key that you figure out why you do that and how self destructive it is. I think you know it...and that is why you're so down on yourself right now. I think it is good that you're realizing it is holding you back and you will figure things and and you can stop doing it.. you can.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    It's all part of the learning curve, days like that happen and will do so again so you need to learn how to deal with them. This could be by being very strict and not allowing it to happen in the first place (unlikely), reducing your calories a little over the next week (if you have scope to do so), increase your exercise for a few days (not always possible) or accept that it happened and just move on.
    Many of us have done this, and will do it again, but it's only a problem if it becomes a regular occurance.

Don't worry about it too much, definitely don't hate yourself, you're only human and sometimes only a cake will do.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    3500 calories = 1 lb. If you are on track all the other days this week, 1,000 calories will slow your loss by less than 1/3 lb this week.
  • Dorchi22
    Dorchi22 Posts: 57 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    1000 over your daily intake is barely considered a maintenance. It's really not so bad that you have to be furious with yourself.
  • goatelope
    Options
    Jackie9003 wrote: »
    It's all part of the learning curve, days like that happen and will do so again so you need to learn how to deal with them. This could be by being very strict and not allowing it to happen in the first place (unlikely), reducing your calories a little over the next week (if you have scope to do so), increase your exercise for a few days (not always possible) or accept that it happened and just move on.
    Many of us have done this, and will do it again, but it's only a problem if it becomes a regular occurance.

Don't worry about it too much, definitely don't hate yourself, you're only human and sometimes only a cake will do.

Aw, it’s kind of true.