Macros for weight loss

What percentage of macros do you use for weight loss?

Replies

• lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    I just ate whatever I wanted for a while, observed where the macros fell in my diary each day, and then set MFP to them so I wouldn't have to look at too many red warning numbers every day LOL Mine are 35 % carb, 35 % fat, 30 % protein. On most days I'm very close to those numbers, though to be honest I really don't care where my macros fall.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I don't pay much attention to the macros. I focus on staying in a calorie deficit.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    The best macros are ones that you find the easiest to hit. Some people find more protein keeps them fuller, others find more fats keep them fuller, and even some get full off of carbs. Play around a bit to see which ones you are and which works best for you.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    at the end of the day for pure weight loss it doesn't really matter, it's the overall calorie goal.

Personally, I like to work mine out based on my weight to make sure I get adequate protein, particularly if i'm cutting weight. When I'm in maintenance quite often I just make sure I get adequate protein and let the rest fall where it will as long as I'm within the caloric goal.

Play with it and see what keeps you most satiated. I need all the carbs. Some people need all the fats.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    50/50/50. Lol
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    To lose weight, at least in the short run, it's all about calories.

But adequate nutrition is important for health, satiation, and energy level, in the long run. If your health or energy level decline, you'll move less in daily life (and perhaps lose exercise intensity), so burn fewer calories, which can somewhat impair weight loss. If you don't feel satiated/full, you'll probably eventually succumb to over-eating, which obviously can hinder weight loss.

Most of us want to be healthy, happy, and energetic, not just thin. In that sense, macros are important (plus getting some varied, colorful veggies and fruits for micronutrients and extra fiber.)

For most people, the MFP default macros are fine, and it's also fine to gradually work toward hitting them (under-nutrition is a slow process, typically), and it's never necessary to hit them exactly. Close is good enough, especially if you're under/over different ones on different days, rather than persistently and significantly under on something essential like protein or fats.

None of the above is saying you have to "eat clean" "avoid junk food", or never have treats. It's just saying that balanced nutrition is a good thing to aim for, regardless of what foods you personally use to get there (use ones you personally enjoy!).

Best wishes!
  • charbabe7602
    charbabe7602 Posts: 28 Member
    I've been playing around with it, especially because I have been trying to avoid over compensating with carbs since I've become a pescatarian about four years ago. Since then, I haven't had any chicken, beef, or pork, and that used to help me lose weight faster because it kept me fuller. I have to just be more creative with my meals, and figure out how to stay full and maintain energy levels without eating so much of the bread, rice, and pasta that I love eating. I read a book that talked about macros, and I have never been very well versed with that stuff, so I thought I might try it out and think about it more. I'm so glad I've FINALLY encountered the concept of calorie deficit. This app is so helpful because I can actually keep track of it all.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    I've been playing around with it, especially because I have been trying to avoid over compensating with carbs since I've become a pescatarian about four years ago. Since then, I haven't had any chicken, beef, or pork, and that used to help me lose weight faster because it kept me fuller. I have to just be more creative with my meals, and figure out how to stay full and maintain energy levels without eating so much of the bread, rice, and pasta that I love eating. I read a book that talked about macros, and I have never been very well versed with that stuff, so I thought I might try it out and think about it more. I'm so glad I've FINALLY encountered the concept of calorie deficit. This app is so helpful because I can actually keep track of it all.

Perhaps you already have, but you might want to experiment with non-meat protein sources (which usually also have carbs, but tend to be more filling for some people than the bread/rice/pasta. I'm talking about things like legumes (beans and peas, mostly), Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. (the latter two only if you eat dairy, obviously). Other good veg protein sources are things like tofu, tempeh, seitan; there are grains with more protein than rice (quinoa comes to mind). Some people find high volume/low cal veggies quite filling. These, too, often have carbs, but can be quite nutrient dense (sweet potatoes, white potatoes, winter squash, cabbage. broccoli, etc.).

Have you tried chickpea pasta? It has a little flatter taste than wheat pasta, to me, but I think it's good with a hearty sauce (lentils, tomato sauce, blenderized dried mushrooms and herbs is very hearty).

There are also soy pastas. Personally, because these tend to be chewy, I don't enjoy them with tomato or cheese-y sauces, but do like them in pseudo-Asian preparations (with veggies) like a miso broth, or a peanut sauce made with peanut butter powder (like PB2), chile paste and rice wine vinegar, plus other seasonings of choice (garlic, chopped raw green onions, minced fresh ginger, whatever).

The chickpea pasta has about twice the protein of wheat pasta; the soybean pasta nearly 3-4 times the protein.

(As background, I've been ovo-lacto vegetarian for more than 45 years, ;) ).
  • charbabe7602
    Thank you so so much! I have to try the chickpea pasta... I don't think I've ever had it, but I LOVE chickpeas and I love lentils and quinoa. I make a lunch salad with lentils, brown rice, quinoa, asian slaw (cabbage, cilantro, shredded carrots), and some cottage cheese. I'll add a boiled egg if I feel like I need more protein (sometimes I don't do that... mainly it depends on how lazy I am lol).
  • ToadstoolBetty
    ToadstoolBetty Posts: 292 Member
    edited September 2019
    It orderpens on what diet you eat.
    Are you eating lots of vegetables which could make you want your carbs anything from low to high, do you want to eat lots of protein or high or low fat.
    If you download carb manager it has a part to sort out what macros you might want to follow, and it does have more than just carb related help for working out your macros.
    You can then follow the grams on mfp.
    I've kept it on my phone for help to know how many macros grams I need to eat using mfp as mfp seems to only give %.
  • charbabe7602
    It orderpens on what diet you eat.
    Are you eating lots of vegetables which could make you want your carbs anything from low to high, do you want to eat lots of protein or high or low fat.
    If you download carb manager it has a part to sort out what macros you might want to follow, and it does have more than just carb related help for working out your macros.
    You can then follow the grams on mfp.
    I've kept it on my phone for help to know how many macros grams I need to eat using mfp as mfp seems to only give %.

Thank you so much for that tip!

• nroma3021
    nroma3021 Posts: 1 Member
    I am at 1600 calories, 50% carbs, 30% protein and 25% carbs!