What do people mean by 'eating clean'?

Options
do you mean eating only low calorie foods? eating only natural foods? eating only raw foods?

What does it mean for you and how far do you take it?

Personally I rely heavily on processed foods (at least I assume they're processed - mini rice cakes, mini light cheeses, cold meat, ice lollies, fat free yogurts etc) because I like being able to judge what I'm eating on packet size and listed calories. I don't cook (ok, I rarely cook and when I do it would only be a potato or some tuna steak)
I also won't eat things mixed together which rules out most traditional meals.

But I do keep to under 1000 calories per day and I would rarely choose a single food item that totalled more than 150 calories. I keep well under my carb, fat and sodium levels. I go over on sugar but that's largely because I eat a lot of fruit. I do worry about the fruit but only because this site makes me, I've never considered it as unhealthy before and am wary of cutting out something I feel safe-ish eating.

I don't like the thought that I am eating 'dirty' but worry that I'm a long way from 'clean'.

So, clean eaters, what is your definition of eating cleanly?

Replies

• SabrinaG1986
    SabrinaG1986 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    eating whole foods, from scratch. No processed junk. That's what clean eating is to me anyways. natural foods.
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Using food to literally bore yourself to death.

As far as i can tell.
  • jkincaid0202
    Options
    Bump.

I'm interested in this topic as well.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    eating clean means something different to everyone

read this:

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/

oh and personally i think you should up your cals, under 1k a day is not very good unless you are extremely petite
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    eating clean to me means less processed food, more lean cuts of meats (if you eat meat), less fat. Oh, and just my opinion, but you shold be eating at least 1200 calories a day...
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    eating clean to me means less processed food, more lean cuts of meats (if you eat meat), less fat. Oh, and just my opinion, but you shold be eating at least 1200 calories a day...

^^^^ and shower. regularly. Seriously, the smell builds up!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    The consensus is usually no processed foods. Whole foods prepped by themselves with little to no additives (salt). I've ate clean many times to get ready for competitions. Then when comp is over it's pizza and beer.
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    A trainer explained it to me this way: if it came straight from the ground/tree or had a face/beak, it is "clean". Anything else is processed.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options

^^^^ and shower. regularly. Seriously, the smell builds up!

and spray it all with Windex before putting it in your mouth.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    To me, eating clean is no processed foods. So, all homemade from scratch cooking, no processed white stuff (i.e. white flour, sugar, etc).

I use Tosca Reno's books as reference. I do lose more weight - significantly - when I eat clean.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Scrub then shave or wax.
  • Cynthiafaron
    Cynthiafaron Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If it is a food in it's natural state , then eat it - inotherwords if it is picked from the ground ,a tree, bush , or caught from the sea - eat it !
  • sarahrosemun
    Options
    Don't worry about the 1000 calories, my doctor recommended that to me, says there are significant benefits to going under the 1200 calories nutritionists recommend.
  • mamashatzie
    mamashatzie Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    To me it is avoiding processed foods as much as possible. Things like canned soup, seasoning mixes (not herbs and spices- those are fine), and boxed dinners, that have chemicals and preservatives added to make them look nicer and stay good longer.

I grew up using Campbell's Fat Free Cream of Mushroom Soup as a recipe base. Used it in vegetables, soups, stews, meats, and more. Do you have any idea how much crap is in that? Preservatives, nitrates, sodium, and general junk. And how does a cream soup get to be fat free anyway? Another example is ranch dressing mix, which has MSG and preservatives. I learned to make my own so I can have homemade ranch dip for my veggies.

It has been challenging, finding substitutes for all the processed crap I grew up using. And, it's hard to add calories to my meal because previously I was using an artificially fat free version. But my body will be so much healthier without all that crap, and I do believe that people who eat clean will be healthier, weigh less, and live longer overall. It's better to fill your body with the real thing than with a stripped-down, chemical-laden, artificially calorie reduced product any day.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    21eqp1u.gif
  • aunt_hbomb
    aunt_hbomb Posts: 204
    Options
    Eating clean is eating natural foods, nothing that is processed.

I try to eat as clean as possible, but for me its impossible to completely clean.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    hmmm, so you need to be prepared to cook to do it then? That's me out, I don't get how people have the time for that much preparation.

I like the ground/face/beak definition. But to me, red meat is far more concerning that a pot of sugar free jelly for example. I wouldn't touch beef or duck but will eat fat free yogurt and babybel light cheeses without worrying. Maybe, if I ever get to a weight I'm happy with (unlikely!) I'll consider clean eating for a long term future but it sounds like a lot of effort!

I find it interesting that people are saying they lose more weight by only eating clean foods - do you know why you find this? I lose weight if I restrict calories and do exercise - it doesn't matter whether those calories are made up of a tonne of lettuce or 1 bar of chocolate. I guess everybody's different.

And yes, I'm very short adn quite petite so I'm not eating too little, don't worry.
  • jes1978
    jes1978 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    ha ha! like the dieting with a sense of humour. Just joined.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    A trainer explained it to me this way: if it came straight from the ground/tree or had a face/beak, it is "clean". Anything else is processed.

this
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    hmmm, so you need to be prepared to cook to do it then? That's me out, I don't get how people have the time for that much preparation.

I like the ground/face/beak definition. But to me, red meat is far more concerning that a pot of sugar free jelly for example. I wouldn't touch beef or duck but will eat fat free yogurt and babybel light cheeses without worrying. Maybe, if I ever get to a weight I'm happy with (unlikely!) I'll consider clean eating for a long term future but it sounds like a lot of effort!

I find it interesting that people are saying they lose more weight by only eating clean foods - do you know why you find this? I lose weight if I restrict calories and do exercise - it doesn't matter whether those calories are made up of a tonne of lettuce or 1 bar of chocolate. I guess everybody's different.

And yes, I'm very short adn quite petite so I'm not eating too little, don't worry.

it does matter WHAT you eat not just HOW much. Most processed foods contain hormones, fake sugars, chemicals, etc...all things that are foreign to your body and alter your metabolism. Even high fructose corn syrup which is in so many foods is metabolized differently than table sugar. Over time, this will affect your weight.