Walking in heels!!

Options
I cant walk in heels,:ohwell: they make my ankles hurt and i look like i need the loo!!:sad:

i soooo want to be able to wear something other than a kitten heel.

Im assuming its painful cos im so heavy.

has anyone found they struggled with heels but are ok now they have lost weight. or is it just a practice thing!!??

Replies

• springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've never been graceful but I clean my house in my stilettos. It's fun - try it sometime. You'll be amazed at how easy you can walk in them after that.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Aside from my workout sneakers, my lowest pair of shoes are 4-inch heels. I wear them every single day. My weight has been up and down, so I really don't think it has anything to do with it. Are you wearing good heels, and not cheaply made ones? I've tried on heels at cheap stores before and they hurt like the devil made them, so that might have something to do with it as well. Get a nice pair of well-made heels, and practice. Practice makes perfect!
  • diane423
    diane423 Posts: 48
    Options
    So funny when I was thin I couldnt wear heels at all. Now that im fat all i wear out on dates and stuff is 5" heels .. So backwards huh.. But i love them i feel thinner cause i look taller.. heheheheeheheh....
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Almost all my shoes are 4 to 5 inch heels. It just takes some practice. :)
  • DestinyDarbi
    DestinyDarbi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm at my goal weight and it still hurts my ankles to wear heels.. but I do it anyway!! :laugh: But I can tell ya.. It's 10 times easier now than it was when I was 9 months pregnant and carrying around that extra weight. It gets better! :flowerforyou:
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've never been graceful but I clean my house in my stilettos. It's fun - try it sometime. You'll be amazed at how easy you can walk in them after that.
    ooohh..im going to try that tomorrow :happy:
  • Happy0326
    Happy0326 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm 4' 11" I used to wear HI heels every day. Since I gained so much weight I can barely wear a wedge. Im afraid I will turn my heels into flip flops....LOL!! everytime I wore them my knees hurt my feet felt like they were like over cooked hot dogs...LOL!!
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    It's a practice thing. And making sure you are wearing quality heels! You have to spend money on heels or really hound the sales!
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    aspeakman82 , I laughed out loud, thanks for the mental imagry.
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I've lost 38 pounds and I have noticed that I can wear high heels (for me that means 3") to work all day now and my feet don't ache. I don't know if it is the weight loss of the fact that I walk a lot more and my muscles are working better.
  • haylayne81
    Options
    Heels make your legs look killer and I find that I get a good workout just walking/dancing in them! :)
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i cant walk well in them either, but i walk slow, and with the aid of my hubby..i just know my clumsy *kitten* would fall if i didnt..i feel prettier in them as well :wink:
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    aspeakman82 , I laughed out loud, thanks for the mental imagry.

LOL thanks. It really is!
  • ChirishGirl
    Options
    SO glad this wasn't just me!!! I'm 5'1 - I've always been short, I'm flat surface challenged in my flip flops on a good day. WHY would I want to invite injury and humiliation by wearing heels?

Because my booty and my calves ROCK when I wear heels. I do stand a bit straighter and my clothes seem to look better (to me). My trouble is still walking in them or standing for extended periods of time - so I just try to figure out my window and threshold of pain and plan around it...haha!

BUT - I got some awesome wedge heels and wore them to a pub crawl on Friday nite. 6 hours walking between pubs, dancing and catching a trolley. I feel a lot more balanced and secure with the wedges (even after a couple pub stops)... but I have branched out and wore some hot mama stilettos to an event on Saturday nite (yikes).
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I've worn heels all of my professional life and my heels were no less than 3". I wore them at 170lbs and now at 130lbs. The main mistake people make is the type of heel and the shoes really do matter. Cheaper shoes are VERy uncomfortable and are not made well so it tends to make your feet hurt. Also, look for a heel that doesn't slope to where all your weight is on the toes or ball of your feet. That makes a huge difference. You can also get great height without having such a tall heel --get a platformed shoe which would lower the slope but keep the heel height.

I wear my heels all day and even travel with them. I've even ran across airport terminals. So it's all in the shoes...not always the person. Good luck.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    there are youtube videos that teach how to walk in heels
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Start with wedges so you can learn to walk in heels...it's better on balance and pressure points.

Then start gradually introducing heels. Look through my pix, I have a pair of 5 1/2" stilettos that are my new staple :-)
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I find that it is easier now that I've lost weight. That said, I still wore 4" heels at my highest weight. I totally agree with the others that said it's all in the quality of the shoe. Find a brand you like and stick with it. Also, not all heels are the same. Maybe start out with a high wedge or thicker heel then work up to the stiletto's.

My personal favorite brands are Unisa, Nine West, Anne Klein, Liz Claiborne, Bandalino, Jones New York, & Enzo Angiolini. There are lot of great brands out there, but everyones foot is different. i.e. I love the Guess shoes look, but their arch is KILLER on my feet, so I never buy them

I recommend you shoe shop at the end of the day when your feet are most swollen. I wear a large size 10/11 and found that with the higher heels and pointier toes I go for the 11 so I have room to breath and my feet don't hurt.

Good luck!
  • kalcide
    kalcide Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    omg, all these years i put it down to my weight!!

and yes the heels i have tried are cheap ones, say max of £20.

it does sound daft but i will try the walking around the house in them to practice!! im sure the other half would appreciate it too!! i want to feel sexy!! lol.

Ill set a GOAL, and treat my self to a quality pair when i reach it!!

and i will watch youtube!!!

thanks for the tips ladies!!!!
  • kalcide
    kalcide Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I find that it is easier now that I've lost weight. That said, I still wore 4" heels at my highest weight. I totally agree with the others that said it's all in the quality of the shoe. Find a brand you like and stick with it. Also, not all heels are the same. Maybe start out with a high wedge or thicker heel then work up to the stiletto's.

My personal favorite brands are Unisa, Nine West, Anne Klein, Liz Claiborne, Bandalino, Jones New York, & Enzo Angiolini. There are lot of great brands out there, but everyones foot is different. i.e. I love the Guess shoes look, but their arch is KILLER on my feet, so I never buy them

I recommend you shoe shop at the end of the day when your feet are most swollen. I wear a large size 10/11 and found that with the higher heels and pointier toes I go for the 11 so I have room to breath and my feet don't hurt.

Good luck!
    ##

:drinker: brill thanks for that!!