I can’t do this anymore

I’ve been steadily gaining weight for the last year I’m so tired of trying and giving up and trying and giving up I’m just going to stop trying. I’ve gained 30 pounds So I’m back to where I started three years ago I can’t do this anymore it’s too hard

Replies

• pugsmom7
    pugsmom7 Posts: 10 Member
    I get it. I've gained 20 pounds since last year. I'm back on the program yet again. I sure hope you join me
  • mandy5135
    mandy5135 Posts: 67 Member
    You have to stay positive, even when it seems impossible. About 4 years ago I lost 50lbs. Then went through a lot and gained 100! I just started back about a month ago, we can do this together!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    we all feel like that, I lost 40 and gained back 25 and got back on the horse and lost it. Have you tried low carb, I eat 100 gr or less of carbs and log my calories and lost it. If I can do it, anyone can, I love to eat!
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    I gained 30 pounds. Don't feel bad. You aren't alone.
  • SaraMakingChanges
    SaraMakingChanges Posts: 178 Member
    We’ve all been there. Hope you don’t give up on yourself. So much great advice on here I can really only add my agreement and say hey - me too!

What really matters is not giving up on yourself. Make small changes as you feel ready and just try to stick with them.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Or better yet....stop giving up!! You've done this before, you can do it again. Weigh and log ALL foods that you are eating. Once you've done that start measuring what a recommended serving is. This will put into perspective what changes you will need to make. You can do this!!!!!!
  • lrsirius
    lrsirius Posts: 328 Member
    And yet, you are on this app, so you haven’t given up completely. Fail forward. Learn from why you regained, and what it is that makes you want to give up. Yeah, it’s hard, but carrying around an extra 30# is hard too. When I get in the mindset of giving up, I start looking for external help for motivation and discipline. YouTube has some good motivational videos that have made it possible for me to keep pushing myself to go the extra distance. Never in my life did I think I would rely on something like that but it worked. https://www.youtube.com/user/mulliganbrother has a bunch that helps keep me going. I, too, am back where I was a few years ago; I know why and I am taking responsibility for that and moving forward. Happy to share the challenge with you, add me as a friend if you like.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    Start today. Make this the last time you start.

Dig deep, find your accountability and motivation and do this thing. Set your weight loss to 1 lb per week. That will give you more calories.

Start by eating your normal foods, so you don't feel deprived. See where they fall in your calorie allotment. Then start to switch things up.

After two weeks of logging, it will become a normal part of your day.

I'm eating better than ever before. I look forward to my next meal. I want you to have this feeling, too. 💟
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    lrsirius wrote: »
    And yet, you are on this app, so you haven’t given up completely. Fail forward. Learn from why you regained, and what it is that makes you want to give up. Yeah, it’s hard, but carrying around an extra 30# is hard too. When I get in the mindset of giving up, I start looking for external help for motivation and discipline. YouTube has some good motivational videos that have made it possible for me to keep pushing myself to go the extra distance. Never in my life did I think I would rely on something like that but it worked. https://www.youtube.com/user/mulliganbrother has a bunch that helps keep me going. I, too, am back where I was a few years ago; I know why and I am taking responsibility for that and moving forward. Happy to share the challenge with you, add me as a friend if you like.

Just subscribed to Milligan Bros videos - tnx for recommendation. Got any others? Watched one video and def felt a spike of warrior beserker 'Bring it On'! 😁
  • lrsirius
    lrsirius Posts: 328 Member
    Sksk1026 love the warrior berserker image. Here’s another https://youtu.be/OKWryLsngMs
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    1. Stop beating yourself up, it only makes you feel worse. Said the voice of experience.
    2. If you truly give up and stop MFP and whatever you have tried on and off. Do you honestly believe that you will not gain any more pounds? My guess is that in less than a year you could see yourself gain bunches of weight.

So make small changes. Maybe for a week, log every single thing you put in your mouth. So you see exactly how many calories you are consuming every day. And also find out how many calories per day/week you need to eat to say lose 1 pound a week. Do not try and push yourself and say it has to be 2 or 3 pounds per week. And then when you do not make the goal you say I am a bad person, and then go wild with eating. I know this, because I have done this in the past.

Decide how you want to attack your problem, tons of info on site and everywhere else online as well. You can do this absolutely. One day at a time. It is a long slow process. And us humans always want to control everything and make it fast, but weight loss just does not work that way. You got this, and everyone here in your corner.
  • igutt
    igutt Posts: 97 Member
    If you are trying to lose weight you haven’t failed yet it’s when you quit that you fail and it won’t feel good you’ll probably gain even more weight.

Just change your strategy maybe you are doing something wrong so check how many calories you should be eating to lose weight and try different diets, try intermittent fasting that helps a lot with losing weight
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,193 Member
    Well, whether you believe you can or you believe you can't, you're right.

Start today. Log your food, all of it. Maybe skip one problem food today.

Come back tomorrow and do it again. It's more about building a good routine than anything else, in my opinion.

I totally agree this is the key!
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,193 Member
    You can do it as the above said try different things ie more exercise or different exercise routines, change your food meals. Give it a go1
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    Good idea to stop trying, just do.

Can’t count cals any longer?
    Do be cognizant of portion sizes.

Do find small sustainable ways to cut cals. (My personal favourite)
    2cookies instead of 3 with my coffee.
    Light beer instead of craft (most of the time.
    4oz of wine with an ice cube instead of 6.
    Sparkling water or sugar free instead of pop. (This amazes me I so loved my pop)
    Half a baked potato instead of a full one.

Do find an eating schedule that works for you. Keeps you satiated and full.

Do find a macro breakdown that fulfils you nutritional goals and satisfies your tastebuds.

Do accept all food had a nutritional value. There is no good bad healthy, unhealthy food, you just have to get your nutrition, most days.

If you can still count cals, give yourself a smaller deficit, and forgive yourself when you go over.
    It’s consistency over time, not a splurge for a day that makes the difference.

A lot of the successful people on here work with the idea that most of the changes made to lose weight are the changes they have to make long term, if not for life, and sculpt their programme around that, not suffering, deprevation, and all consuming focus.

Find small consistent changes that work for you.

Cheers, h.