Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Talking to a loved one about weight lose

My dad's obese, I've tried talking to him about the health issues obesity can lead to but he believes mental health is way more important than physical health. I honestly don't know what else I can say to him, I love him and I don't wanna see him slowly killing himself, what should I do?

Replies

• This is from a warm and fuzzy place,your daddy isn't your partner/spouse so it's his life to live. Now you can do as much as possible to do things that can inspire healthy living but ultimately it's up to daddy dearest to change for himself. Mental health is a big thing and is very much connected to the body. When I was deathly depressed and very much wanting to take my life I couldn't be bothered with workouts or eating right bc hell just operate was maxing me out energy-wise. Just be kind and don't be a co-conspirator aka enabler tho. That's all you can do.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Unfortunately now that you have brought it up and he hasn't been responsive to it, there is not really anything you can do. You can't make that decision for him. Weight loss is hard enough when someone really wants to do it. If they don't, it's next to impossible.

Mental health is certainly important. So is physical health. They are not mutually exclusive from one another and sometimes weight loss can lead to better mental health. So there is no reason why he couldn't focus on both. But if he isn't ready to make that attempt yet, you can do it for him. You can just be there to support him if in fact he decides to do it.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    People have to want to do this for themselves. That's the only way they'll succeed.

You've planted the seed. He's a grown man and your father. You need to respect his decision.