THICK THIGHS... go away! :\

Options
I am one of those girls who puts most of my weight on my lower body.. (thighs/hips). I have reached my goal weight HOWEVER I am not happy with the way my thighs still are.. I know we cannot spot reduce.. however, I figured the more cardio I do.. my body will decide where to burn the fat off of which is well, my thighs lol.

I've been JOGGING (I am not a runner at all!) and doing brisk walks on the treadmill with high incline. Then I also do the elliptical on interval training (resistance of 8 then no resistance, back & forth).

I also have been doing SQUATS.. doesn't squats make you a bit wider as far as your .. butt? Or am I wrong? Because it's not working as much for me.

Yes, my thighs have lost about 1 inch or so.. I am proud of reaching my goal weight.. I just wish there was a way I could have my thighs a bit slimmer :(

WHAT has HELPED you ladies around this area??? Anyone?? Tips?? Exercises?? Thanks MFP!!

Replies

• emily_ylime597
    Options
    I am the exact same way! I have always held most of my weight in my lower body, and I am still not pleased with the way my thighs look even after losing weight over the course of the spring and summer. People can tell the difference, but I would of course love to have thinner thighs! I think though that you have to learn to some extent to accept the fact that your body is the way it is, and even if you diet down to an unhealthy weight chances are you might never achieve the look you want. I have had to accept that my genes are just such that I will always have a thicker than desired lower body (my mom also holds her weight in her lower half!). So my focus now is just toning and making my legs look as streamlined and sexy as I can :) I have been doing Body Pump and cardio and so far so good! Would love to see what some other folks have to say though!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Running and the hip machines at the gym have slimmed my thighs down. They are still on the bigger side - but you can't change genetics. However, they are FAR thinner than they used to be.

I can see a difference in my thighs between the "after" (yellow shirt pic) in my profile and a current picture that I have in my pictures. Big difference. :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I guess my question now is, how long have you been doing these exercises? Cause it's not going to be an over night and then boom I've got thinner thighs type a thing. It took me almost 3-4 months of doing it to see any sort of result. You gotta keep doing them.. squats, lunges, side lunges, leg press.. all good things.

Also, squats will not make your back side wider.. it's going to make it smaller because the muscles are tighter and more dense.
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I am the exact same way! I have always held most of my weight in my lower body, and I am still not pleased with the way my thighs look even after losing weight over the course of the spring and summer. People can tell the difference, but I would of course love to have thinner thighs! I think though that you have to learn to some extent to accept the fact that your body is the way it is, and even if you diet down to an unhealthy weight chances are you might never achieve the look you want. I have had to accept that my genes are just such that I will always have a thicker than desired lower body (my mom also holds her weight in her lower half!). So my focus now is just toning and making my legs look as streamlined and sexy as I can :) I have been doing Body Pump and cardio and so far so good! Would love to see what some other folks have to say though!

True, we cannot change genetics.. and I have learned to live with mine, and just accept that my body is the way it is.. however I wish there was some way I could slim them down! You look fabulous btw!!
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I guess my question now is, how long have you been doing these exercises? Cause it's not going to be an over night and then boom I've got thinner thighs type a thing. It took me almost 3-4 months of doing it to see any sort of result. You gotta keep doing them.. squats, lunges, side lunges, leg press.. all good things.

Also, squats will not make your back side wider.. it's going to make it smaller because the muscles are tighter and more dense.

Thankyou for the response! I have been doing these exercises for about 2 months now.. within only 3 times a week and on Sundays. Do you recommend doing squats / lunges / side lunges with weights?
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Spin classes are great for the hips, thighs and glutes!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    bump
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Hello, fellow pears! :bigsmile:

If you find the answer to this, let me know.
  • OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I too carry most of my weight in my bottom half. My thighs are huge and I have accepted the fact that they will never be "skinny". They have gotten a lot smaller though and I am trying to get them even smaller and also focus more on toning them. I have lost about 3 1/4 inches in them from doing bootcamp and running. I definitely think running helps a lot and doing things like squats and lunges which we did a LOT of in bootcamp and I'm now doing a lot of with the Insanity program.

Edited to add:
    I started going to the bootcamp in June and started running 9 weeks ago. Started Insanity 8/1. So that should give you an idea of how long it took for me to lose the 3 1/4 inches on my thighs.
  • jes1978
    jes1978 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    good to see that I'm not the only one with thighs! Also cellulite here too :-( However, only just joined today, so fingers crossed.....
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    Well...I have yet to find that key..My thigh have a little bulk to me in the front..Not sticking out but there...Some pals and I are starting Jillians New DVD..Killer Thighs and Buns...with hopes that it will get us that look..You can Pre-order it from Amazon it doesnt ship out until the 6th..We are starting on the 12th....
  • worldhurdler
    worldhurdler Posts: 153 Member
    Options

DITTO! I'm actually pretty comfortable with my weight, but wish I could target specific areas ;-) But, I've ALWAYS had hips & butt (my mother tells me I was born with them. Thanks, Mom, for the encouragement ;-) so I know they'll be the last to leave. And by "last" I mean "probably never". Ah well! I keep working on burning off fat and strength training so that hopefully, little by little, more muscle will be revealed on my legs. At least I feel strong! I think I can live with my bigger hips/thighs as long as that persists.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Thankyou for the response! I have been doing these exercises for about 2 months now.. within only 3 times a week and on Sundays. Do you recommend doing squats / lunges / side lunges with weights?

I do them with weights.. but bodyweight too works just as a well.

You want to be doing 3 sets for about 12-15 reps.
  • lkeeton7
    lkeeton7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same thick thigh problem. I run, I kickbox, do squats...with no great results, I recently came across a workout I LOVE, though (love/hate, I suppose). It's called The Butt Bible. If you have Comcast cable, it's available On Demand right now, but you can also buy it online. It's definitely made a difference in my thighs and butt (and there is actually a good upper body workout, too). Good luck!!!
  • Ralstonk2
    Ralstonk2 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    BUMP! I want the answer to this too! What exercises can you do at home? I don't have a gym membership. I know squats and lunges help but what else can I do at home or say at the park (Only for a short amount of time due to weather soon!). I am and can not run! My ankles swell up. But I can walk for days. Anything else? I am right there with you!
  • shellbell525
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. i wish there was a majic wand but i'm afraid that hard work and a few tears are the only things that can help. Fingers crossed
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    I have been actively exercising for years, but more so since I quit smoking a year ago last March. Unfortunately my thighs do not appear any better off then they were. I suppose I need to lose more weight and fat before the definition shows ..wow...I can only imagine how awesome they will look when that happens!!! :bigsmile:
  • smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I think this is the million dollar question!! Haven't been on my journey long but hopefully in a couple months I can tell a difference. It's been a month and I've lost inches in my waist but not my thighs.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    BrazilIian butt lift (the beach body DVD program) really helped reshape my Lower body but now that I'm pregnant my thighs are trying to expand again. I am returning to it to help keep them at bay, but I think i will also try butt bible. Keep the tips coming!
  • Raynamama
    Raynamama Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    bump

This is TOTALLY my problem area too, I'm 3.5 months pregnant right now so I know I'm going to gain some weight but I've come really far and I don't want to lose all my progress! lol