Switching to half pound a week loss - When?

Options
Question for people who switched from 1 lb/ week loss to .5 lb/ week loss. When did you make the switch? Was it based on weight or how you were feeling- too hungry? Worried about muscle loss?

If I understand correctly, MFP recommendations on how many pounds to lose a week are based on how many pounds you want to lose. But people have different BMI goals- top end of normal, low end, middle, etc. That’s a large range.

Is there an ideal BMI to switch from 1 lb/ week to .5 lb/ week loss? For my height (5’ 5”) the BMI "normal" range is 114-150 lbs. (BMI 19- 25) My goal is 132 lbs (BMI 22, in the middle) and then to body recomp from there. When would be an ideal time to transition to .5 lb loss a week? At 150 lbs? (BMI 25) Or if I start to feel deprived with my calorie limit?

I’m just curious when I’ll be adjusting and what a realistic time frame for my goal will be. I’m on the slow and steady plan. :smile: I'm 190 lbs now, so theoretically I’m looking at 40 weeks to get to 150 lbs and after that 36 weeks to get to 132 lbs?

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    There's really no rule, as you said it depends a lot on where in the healthy weight range you're aiming and how appropriate that weight is for your unique combination of genetics and lifestyle. Some people do manage to coast right into their goal weight at 1 lb per week, while others slow down to more like 1 lb per month.

If you are struggling with hunger, or if maintaining a 500 calorie deficit puts you too close to or below 1200 cals, it's time to slow it down. Even if you're doing fine, I personally would suggest reducing your deficit to the bare minimum for the last 5-10 lbs to make the transition to maintenance easier, but that's based on nothing but my gut.

Good luck!
  • koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I switched over when I was getting very close to goal. It's now taking me several weeks to lost 1kg - which is fine given that it's the last couple of kgs
  • healingnurtrer
    healingnurtrer Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it's kind of a "wait and see" decision, thanks for the replies!
  • scottyaus2732
    scottyaus2732 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    There can be an argument made for doing it a week or two every four to six weeks. To stop your metabolism slowing down.

Some far more experienced or educated than me may care to comment.