LADIES who are STRENGTH TRAINING!

Options
Hi ladies! I am trying to get into various exercises to burn fat and be toned.. So far all I'm mainly doing now is 30 min treadmill of jogging & walking and 20 min elliptical (intervals..) I really want to slim my thighs and I know you cannot spot reduce.. so what are the best strength training exercises that has helped you?

Replies

• cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Lunges and squats, plain and simple. Don't waste your time with those adductor/abductor machines.
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Lunges and squats, plain and simple. Don't waste your time with those adductor/abductor machines.

Thanks for the response!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I'll comment since I train females.

Squats
    Leg presses
    Hack squats
    Bulgarian squats
    Plie squats
    Lunges
    Leg extensions
    Stiff legged deadlifts
    Lying leg curls
    Seated leg curls
    Standing leg curls
  • leilani♥
    leilani♥ Posts: 579
    Options

Squats
    Leg presses
    Hack squats
    Bulgarian squats
    Plie squats
    Lunges
    Leg extensions
    Stiff legged deadlifts
    Lying leg curls
    Seated leg curls
    Standing leg curls

^ That has helped me. I've lost about 3" in 2 months
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Scissor lifts
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

I've used those machines and they've helped my thighs. Don't discount them - you never know what will be the key to your own success. Just because they don't work for someone else doesn't mean they won't work for you. I wasn't able to do squats and lunges for MONTHS due to some injuries. I ran on the treadmill when I could and made myself use the hip machines -- saw a difference in my thighs. So.
  • murfto
    murfto Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    For me, The Chelean Extreme beachbody series has been suprisingly helpful. It is both weights and cardio. It took me a bit to get used to but it really focuses on building muscle. It is not about how much weight but slow toning. I was very unsure I would like it at first due to it not being straight cardio but I am getting very good results in my measurements. it is little pricy but very effective.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Lunges, squats, cable kickbacks, jump lunges, pop squats, and those abductor/adductor machines do work as a little supplement...don't ignore them completely. I use them to target the area specifically ---along with the above named exercises.
  • CapitalE
    CapitalE Posts: 30
    Options
    bump!
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options

I like the adductor/abductor machines HAHA. My muscles feel soar and well worked after i use them. However, I do agree that lunges and squats are awesome exercises! :)
    Squats
    Leg presses
    Hack squats
    Bulgarian squats
    Plie squats
    Lunges
    Leg extensions
    Stiff legged deadlifts
    Lying leg curls
    Seated leg curls
    Standing leg curls

Great ideas!!!!!!!
  • heatherzotigh
    Options
    lunges and squats and calf raises... and switch it up... i.e. dumbbell lunges, dumbbell squats, one legged calf raises, one day then next weight day do stiff-legged dead lifts, wide-stance dumbbell squats, two legged calf raises, then on your third weight day do lying leg curls, leg extensions.. etc etc... gotta keep your muscles guessing!

also the treadmill on incline is great for legs too and make friends with the STAIRMASTER!

good luck!
  • sh3lby03
    sh3lby03 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges (both stepping forward and stepping back ones, since they target different areas) I would def use plies and side legs lifts for inner/outer thighs because (for most women) you want those little muscles long and lean (not bulky from using a machine with weights).
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options

Squats
    Leg presses
    Hack squats
    Bulgarian squats
    Plie squats
    Lunges
    Leg extensions
    Stiff legged deadlifts
    Lying leg curls
    Seated leg curls
    Standing leg curls

This is so confusing to me, so please help me understand. When ladies want to build up their butt, they're told to do squats and lunges. But when ladies want to slim down their thighs and butt, they're told to so squats and lunges. Are they both equally effective to a certain point (meaning you'll slim down until the fat's gone and then build muscle if you keep doing it)? I want to build my booty!
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options

Squats
    Leg presses
    Hack squats
    Bulgarian squats
    Plie squats
    Lunges
    Leg extensions
    Stiff legged deadlifts
    Lying leg curls
    Seated leg curls
    Standing leg curls

THANKYOU!!
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options

Squats
    Leg presses
    Hack squats
    Bulgarian squats
    Plie squats
    Lunges
    Leg extensions
    Stiff legged deadlifts
    Lying leg curls
    Seated leg curls
    Standing leg curls

This is so confusing to me, so please help me understand. When ladies want to build up their butt, they're told to do squats and lunges. But when ladies want to slim down their thighs and butt, they're told to so squats and lunges. Are they both equally effective to a certain point (meaning you'll slim down until the fat's gone and then build muscle if you keep doing it)? I want to build my booty!

Muscle is denser than fat and takes up less room. You could take two women of identical height and weight and have them look radically different. If one of those women is skinny fat and the other is muscular, I can guarantee that the latter will look smaller. If you want to bulk up your butt concentrate on lunges and squats (and all of the other exercises recommended) and use heavy weights, but just remember you can't target your butt only. If Christina (?) wants to slim down that'll depend on whether she has fat to lose...is that right, ladies?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options

Because "conditioning" (not "toning" I hate that terminology) the leg muscles requires both. Being Asian and skinny, I had no butt too. Till I started heavy squatting, leg pressing and deadlifting.
  • youngmum
    youngmum Posts: 114
    Options
    I've just started using The New Rules of Lifting For Women by Lou Scuhler and pretty much that echoes what you've been told above about using squats & lunges. Apparently the squat is supposed to engage almost half of all the muscles in your body making it a really efficient exercise to add.
  • fit4everyoung
    Options
    Lunges, Squats and Plie squats, swimming, water aerobics, and Buns of Steel DVD (tamilee webb) is the best low-impact and leg work-out. Also, lowering your calories and simple cardio w/out resistance; otherwise your create muscle. Hope this helps, good luck!