Vitamin A

Options
I started having a new breakfast. Its an egg scramble with eggs, spinach., sweet potato, cabbage and mushrooms. It puts my daily vitamin A at over 500%. Is that bad as I really like the breakfast and do not want to stop eating it.

Thanks

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    It is fine, don't worry about it. The only side effect is if you eat sweet potatoes daily you may develop a slight yellow/orange tint to your skin from excess beta carotene. It is not dangerous at all, enjoy.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    It is fine, don't worry about it. The only side effect is if you eat sweet potatoes daily you may develop a slight yellow/orange tint to your skin from excess beta carotene. It is not dangerous at all, enjoy.

Yup. To expand on the science: Vitamin A overdose is rare because it takes a LOT of vitamin A to cause any health problems. It's almost always associated with taking very high dose supplements, not from eating a lot of foods rich in vitamin A.

If your skin starts getting that orangey color, you may want to back off the beta carotene for a while. It won't hurt you, but you probably don't want to be orange :)
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the only time you really have to worry about it is if you're taking supplements or something like Accutane, which is a retinoid and similar to vitamin A. I had to have monthly blood tests when I was on it to make sure I wasn't having any health problems.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Agree with above statements.

Sounds delicious. Enjoy!

• SalJ73
    SalJ73 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Happy to have found this post! I’m new here and eat raw carrots for snacks. My vitamin A intake is showing way to high so I’m pleased it’s not dangerous
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Vitamin A from fruits and vegetables is from beta carotene and is water soluble, so you cant overdose on it. Vitamin A from supplements and animal sources are not, so you could if you overeat it. It is hard in those cases, but not impossible. Just a few bites of polar bear liver, for instance, would lead you to an awful painful death from Vitamin A overdose. But from vegatables, don't worry?