What do people mean by 'eating clean'?

Options
2»

Replies

• cre8freedom
    cre8freedom Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Eating Clean: http://www.eatcleandiet.com/

Basically it is about eating non-processed foods but also following a diet that you can stick to all your life and that has many health benefits. 1000 calories a day is not enough for your body to function properly and I think that if you are eating less than 1000 calories a day then you could have some serious health issues in the future - check with your doctor!

Over-processed foods or foods that have lots of chemicals are also not good for you. When you read the ingredient label what do you see? If there are ingredients in there that you can't pronounce then how can they really be good for you?

Do you know why companies use a lot of those chemicals instead of real food? Because it is cheaper for them to manufacture the product - not because it is better for us.

Overall to me Eating clean is about eating what is best for my body and relying on Mother Nature not scientists!
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Bump
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    ...Wait, this thread isn't a joke?
  • pinkbride2011
    Options
    Eating clean for me is staying away from heavily processed foods and especially foods with synthetic ingredients (chemicals). I buy local, fresh and organic foods as much as possible. I make sure things like cheese, pasta, soups have no more than 5 ingredients and that none of those ingredients is anything other than a food (no chemicals). Some have even called my diet the "real food" diet. Here is a great blog about it. www.100daysofrealfood.com

Of course there is the occassional slip, but it is not a part of my regular diet/routine.

At first, it seems daunting and time consuming, but as you get better you learn about freezing, portions and short cuts. If you watch movies like Food Inc, you may not feel so good about eating prepackaged/processed foods regularly.

I hope this helps. Good luck on your journey.
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My definition of eating clean is consuming no processed food.
  • AveryWays
    AveryWays Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Eating clean means anything that wasn't processed in a plant but picked from the earth in its raw form. I tell my kids there's no such thing as a bread, cake, muffin and pasta tree. :grumble: There's no Oreo Cookie tree either! :laugh:

Here's a tip I read somewhere:
    Whenever you see the words "FAT-FREE" or "LOW-FAT", Think of the words "CHEMICAL S*** STORM!"
  • pope369
    pope369 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have heard of people following a kosher diet to eat "clean", but there's plenty of processed food that's labeled kosher.
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Scrub then shave or wax.

LOL!!:laugh:
  • OnMyWeigh
    OnMyWeigh Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Another example is ranch dressing mix, which has MSG and preservatives. I learned to make my own so I can have homemade ranch dip for my veggies.

Would love your recipe for ranch mix!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    it does matter WHAT you eat not just HOW much. Most processed foods contain hormones, fake sugars, chemicals, etc...all things that are foreign to your body and alter your metabolism. Even high fructose corn syrup which is in so many foods is metabolized differently than table sugar. Over time, this will affect your weight.
    You'd need to find clinical evidence to support that. If you got in all your essentials and balanced macronutrients, and you ate processed foods in controlled portions, your weight can stay stable. I've done it for more than 20 years this way.
  • ckspores
    ckspores Posts: 52
    Options
    For me, eating clean is avoiding processed foods, including white sugar and flour but when I'm eating clean I also try to avoid meat and dairy.

Yes, you do end up cooking for yourself more often but you also come up with tips for saving time during the week. Usually, I would make a huge pot of rice (or other grain) and beans on Sunday and use it to supplement my meals all week. This worked out well. In the end, when I committed to clean eating I felt so much better that the few extra minutes I spent prepping and making meals became worth it.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Cooking doesn't have to be super complicated or time consuming. Baking a chicken breast or piece of fish is super easy and will taste much better than a Lean Cuisine.