Good Protein Shake/powder?

Options
Hello,

Can anyone give me a good recommendation on a good protein powder brand or shake mix? I've seen The Biggest Lose and Jillian's brand. I'm looking to be using it in a Blender Bottle after my morning workouts and on my way to class. I'm also open to any one that I can make at home with banana, ice, ect. I prefer lower calories but my guess is that after working out I won't be too picky.

Also, I'm looking for one that doesn't taste too bad mixed with water (I read that a lot of them say to mix with water) but I heard that most of them taste terrible with water.

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    hi why do you need a shake? why don't you just eat something? bodys were made to take food not shakes...lol
    sorry just a thought! and it's cheeper too...
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    Gold standard casein
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    My school has a free circuit training class at 6:30am so I needed something I could take with me easily and would be a great source of protein after my workout (I do weight lifting as well) I would have to run to class right afterwards.
  • pander101
    Options
    Thanks! I'll look into that one
  • BuffTexan
    BuffTexan Posts: 270
    Options
    Like xraychick said, ON Gold Standard is a popular choice. Jillian Michael's whey protein has about as much protein as a tall glass of milk, FWIW.

Dymatize has one the highest ratios protien/scoop, like each scoop is 86% protein. Do the math, you'll be surprised how much "fillers" are in protein powders. Of course, those fillers make the shake taste very good but then again, are you after "taste" or "protein?"
  • luv2runsgf
    Options
    I like Pure Protein (metal bottles) because no messy powder to deal with. It tastes decent and travels well.
  • BuffTexan
    BuffTexan Posts: 270
    Options
    I like Pure Protein (metal bottles) because no messy powder to deal with. It tastes decent and travels well.
    RTD is a different story and MUCH more expensive. :wink:
  • pander101
    Options
    Awesome, thank you guys! Amazon has both so at some point I will be trying both of them.
  • kaybs7
    kaybs7 Posts: 2
    Options
    I use myofusion I get it at gnc and it's really inexspensive (choc n vanilla) I mix a scoop (choc powder) of that with a non-vanilla chiobanni yogurt (that I freeze) and 1 cup of the vanilla almond breeze milk. Use in a blender and it's really good and like 307 calories...let me know what u think! :)
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Hemp Protein is great, plus it is a superfood so you gets a lot of other nutrients including omega 3's and 6's
  • gsenriquez
    gsenriquez Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I use Jay Robb chocolate whey protein. It is good with water or sometimes I also mix it with Almond milk. The only downside is, it is very expensive if you compare it to the ones you buy in store. But it doesn't have all the added non-prounancable ingredients like the other shakes.
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Vega!!! Vega all the way baby!!! Avoid Caisin (dairy) protein shakes, caisin is really super bad for you. Read the book, the China Study and you'll never eat dairy again! Anyway, VEGA!!!
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    PS Shakes are great to eat after a workout, your digestive system needs a break too once in a while.
  • chrymyrs
    chrymyrs Posts: 38
    Options
    Arbonne has an awesome shake you can buy. Comes in chocolate & vanilla, can mix with bananas, berries, etc. and is vegan. If you want the nutrition info let me know. You can also check it out at cherylmyers.myarbonne.com

Good luck!
  • ChrisFA5
    ChrisFA5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hemp Protein is great, plus it is a superfood so you gets a lot of other nutrients including omega 3's and 6's

+1

Nutiva 50% protein hemp powder. I also really like NOW whey protein isolate (unflavored)