Emphysema and Cardio

I was recently diagnosed with Emphysema and I’m trying so desperately to lose weight but cardio gets harder every day. Does anyone else struggle with this or have any advice? I do want to quit smoking, but man it’s hard.

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    You have to quit smoking!❤️
    My mother had emphysema.
    I know how difficulty it is. Don’t be too concerned about cardio. Losing weight is primarily about eating less calories than your body burns. Exercise is recommended for overall health, but not necessary for weight loss. Trying to lose weight and quit smoking at the same time is very hard. I’m sure your doctor told you that you have to quit smoking immediately. If nothing else, concentrate on that. What was your doctors advice about exercising with your reduced lung functions?
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    I do sympathise with you on the quitting smoking I am an on again off again smoker and I know how very hard it can be but it is the ONE HUGE thing that will improve your health. Not just your breathing but your heart, your blood supply, your cholesterol, oxygen levels, energy and lets not forget throat cancer, lung cancer, and every other cancer that inhaling poisonous fumes can give you.

Try talking to your GP about quitting, the NHS has some very effective medications and strategies that could help you get the nicotine monkey off your back.

My mum is 96 and has COPD from long term smoking she was coughing up so much mucus that sometime she almost choked on it. She quit smoking 6 weeks ago and the improvement is marked. She is not coughing anywhere near as much now, that is how fast your lungs can start to recover.

This is why I am desperately trying to quit for good.

Ok lecture over.

As for the cardio just do what you are comfortable with. Walking is really good for cardio but without the strain on your lungs.

As MissySippy930 said, You don't need to excercise to lose weight. You only need to be in a calorie deficit. Losing weight is all about how much you eat. Put your stats in, log your food, eat to your calorie goal and you will lose weight.

Good luck <3

• saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    I quit on Chantix. It made me angry but I stayed on Chantix because it worked.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Try taking a walk , even a short one, as a substitute for a cigarette for double the payback!