beginner Q's about stability ball + dumbbells

Options
Hi all,

I'm male, 48yo, and just beginning to diet and get in shape. My cardio workout right now is brisk walking, and I'm very happy with that. I'd like to add something in the "strength training" category, but something very modest. I would describe myself as "average" build (i.e., no weakling), but I've always had trouble with my joints and tendons (elbows, knees) whenever I tried any kind of weight training. And I've always hated going to the gym. So my goal for now is just enough to tighten things up and feel "fit"; definitely not any kind of serious weightlifting or bodybuilding.

My plan is to get an exercise ball and some dumbells and do workouts at home in my spare room. I browsed DVDs online, and the one I like best so far is "Quick Fix - Stability Ball Workout" by Keli Roberts. The reviews mention that the upper body portion uses two sets of dumbbells ("light", "heavy"), and some reviewers mention they use (5,8) or (8,10). I saw Walmart has a set of 6,8, and 10 (pairs) for $44, which seems like a good deal.

So my main question : Does this set (6, 8, 10 pounds) sound like a good match for my goals ?

Another : Can I do this kind of workout on a carpet, or do I need and exercise mat ?

TIA for any suggestions !

Replies

• Selly7749
    Options
    I would say maybe get an exercise mat. My legs were covered in carpet burns until my dad took pity on me as a poor student, and purchased one for me.

I dunno about the dumbells or anything like that though - I've using the workouts on exercisetv to build my strength up a little x
  • repawn
    repawn Posts: 4
    Options
    If you stick with the strength training the 6 - 8 -10 will become far to light for you. I am not a big guy by any stretch of imagination and I outstripped my under 15lbs weights in roughly 6 weeks. However, it is a start and the lighter weights will help you concentrate on form - which is super important if you want to remain uninjured. As far as the carpet is concerned - a mat is nice - though just throwing a towel down works pretty well.
  • spyork
    spyork Posts: 187
    Options
    Hi,

A stability ball will help with your inner core which needs to be strong, doing weight training such as squats and deadlifts should strengthen your joints within a couple of weeks the best thing is to start really light and use correct lifting and form to help stabalise the joints. It might be worth working with a trainer for a couple of sessions to ensure you are using the correct form.

Hope this helps,

Scott
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    I'd check around for some better prices on weights.. you don't generally want to pay more than $1/lb.

Otherwise, a stability ball is a really good way to start developing strength and endurance. Its less strenuous than working out with barbells in a gym and you still get the benefit of working the stabilizing muscles that will help you progress in strength and fitness.

I think you have a good plan to start with, just poke around for some really good deals and you'll be set!
  • jjs22
    jjs22 Posts: 156
    Options
    Well, craigslist came to the rescue. I got a set of 25, 20, 15, 12, 10, 8, 5lb hex dumb bells with a rack for .... $50, or $0.28/lb

Yesterday I bought my fitness ball and did a light "get-acquainted" workout. I really like the feel of it. The little DVD that was included was enough to get me started, but its not really a "workout", so you have to keep navigating and hitting play.

Weight-wise, I think I'm going to start with baby-steps. Yesterday, when I went to look at dumbbells in the store, I tried a curl (just 1 !!!) with 10, and then 15 pounds. About 15 minutes after, I could feel my tendons just a little.

Thanks for all the help.