Giving up nutrasweet (aspartame)

Options
After years of putting nutrasweet in my tea, I'm giving it up. I've found it adds to "gastric distress," particularly now that I've been jogging in the morning. (It appears to have a delayed effect for me, as previously posted. It's taken a long time to figure that out.)

But, I'm enjoying putting honey or agave in my tea after a jog. Then, later in the day, I'm trying to do without. If anyone doesn't think sugar is addictive, just try alternating: sometimes, your tea is wonderfully sweet, other times, it's not. And you want to cry.

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    I guess if it has unpleasant affects on you, giving it up is a good idea.

I mainly drink unsweetened coffee - but now and then I have a favoured tea with dash of honey.

( and I do drink diet sodas)
  • SarahAnne3958
    SarahAnne3958 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    After years of putting nutrasweet in my tea, I'm giving it up. I've found it adds to "gastric distress," particularly now that I've been jogging in the morning. (It appears to have a delayed effect for me, as previously posted. It's taken a long time to figure that out.)

But, I'm enjoying putting honey or agave in my tea after a jog. Then, later in the day, I'm trying to do without. If anyone doesn't think sugar is addictive, just try alternating: sometimes, your tea is wonderfully sweet, other times, it's not. And you want to cry.

I'm a bit confused op, you're actually adding sugar to your diet by making the switch-1tbsp of honey has 17g of sugar. Agave has 15g of sugar per tbps. Aspartame has no sugar in it. There's lots of artificial sweeteners out there-have you tried other options to see if they affect your digestion? I use Splenda (sucralose) in my coffee and it has no effect on me.
  • snapshotstacy
    snapshotstacy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to aspartame (like, I carry an epi-pen allergic) and have other bad reactions to other artificial sweeteners.
    Rather than adding sweeteners at all to your tea, try switching up the type of tea you drink. I've found that the Good Earth Sweet & Spicy is _wonderfully_ sweet all by itself. They have it in a black tea & an herbal version. I prefer the black tea one, but both are awesome either hot or cold.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused op, you're actually adding sugar to your diet by making the switch-1tbsp of honey has 17g of sugar. Agave has 15g of sugar per tbps. Aspartame has no sugar in it. There's lots of artificial sweeteners out there-have you tried other options to see if they affect your digestion? I use Splenda (sucralose) in my coffee and it has no effect on me.

I should have said that I have not liked the other sweeteners, thus I stuck with aspartame all this time. It's probably more what I'm used to than anything else. If I'm going to re-train, I'm going to go with no sweetener at all. Or, when I've had plenty of exercise and need a bit of carb anyway, I add something sugary.

My point is that, when you SOMETIMES add sugar to your tea, it makes you want to ALWAYS add sugar. Sweetness causes a profound philological reaction to varying degrees in different people. Yes, it can feel like an addiction to some.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I just use real sugar when I want the sweetness. The other sweeteners make me physically ill. My rule now is stick to the real thing. 😉
  • kcmcbee
    kcmcbee Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I dropped sugar like a rock several months ago after reading what refined sugar and the insidious “high fructose corn syrup” (HFCS) does to us (and how HFCS is processed, or not processed, by our bodies!
  • kcmcbee
    Options
    And good for you for giving up sucralose!!!! I know some chemists who won’t eat that stuff.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    I'm allergic to aspartame (like, I carry an epi-pen allergic) and have other bad reactions to other artificial sweeteners.
    Rather than adding sweeteners at all to your tea, try switching up the type of tea you drink. I've found that the Good Earth Sweet & Spicy is _wonderfully_ sweet all by itself. They have it in a black tea & an herbal version. I prefer the black tea one, but both are awesome either hot or cold.

Well, yes, if you are allergic to something, definitely avoid it. And find an alternative you like.
    Whether that something is aspartame, tomatoes, nuts, eggs whatever.

But for rest of us: sweeten or don't sweeten your drinks according to your own preferences , being aware of calories, if any, in your choice of sweetener, if you use one.

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    kcmcbee wrote: »
    I dropped sugar like a rock several months ago after reading what refined sugar and the insidious “high fructose corn syrup” (HFCS) does to us (and how HFCS is processed, or not processed, by our bodies!

HFCS is 55% fructose and 45% glucose, the exact same sugars that naturally occur in fruit.
    Your body uses it as an energy source in exactly the same way.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    150 g of apple (gala) is: 15.5 g sugar, 4 g sucrose, 2.5 g glucose, and 9 g fructose. That means it is approximately 71% fructose, and 29% glucose once the sucrose is broken down. Curious how HFCS is insidious and an apple is not.

Fructose in excess repeatedly without fiber is likely bad news, but 55/45 Fructose/Glucose in moderation and in a diet that includes sufficient fiber, protein, micros,etc. is hardly an issue. It's like being alarmist about apples.

Btw, 100 g of corn (a food that I have been recently told will kill me, because corn is evil and unhealthy, yay, MFP, but a food I'm eating frequently now because it's fresh, in season (well, moving out of season), and I have a farm share and enjoy it), is 6 g total sugar, 2 g fructose, 1 g sucrose, and 3 g glucose, so not sure why HFCS ends up higher in fructose. Presumably its because non sweetcorn (sweetcorn=corn in the US, but we have industrial/feedlot corn too) has a different fructose to glucose ratio despite being less sweet in general.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I agree that small amounts of sweet stuff (sugar, honey, agave syrup, HFCS) is not at all dangerous. Occasional sweets (with even more sugar) add to the the joy of life. There's a reason we serve cake at parties!

I also agree that too much sugar in the diet is bad. An apple has 70kcals, mostly from sugar, but it also has fiber and many good micros. (I eat three servings of fruit almost every day.) These servings are small and are within my balance macro goals. Thus, I will eat an orange, but I wouldn't drink a large glass of orange juice under most circumstances.

I also agree that there is little difference between white sugar, dark sugar, "raw" sugar, honey, agave, and HFCS. The point of HFCS was that the fructose is sweeter tasting than glucose, so if you raise the proportion, you can use less sugar. Agave syrup, which is a bit higher in fructose than sucrose (which is 50:50), is similar to HFCS, but it contains a few beneficial micros as does honey
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

I should have said that I have not liked the other sweeteners, thus I stuck with aspartame all this time. It's probably more what I'm used to than anything else. If I'm going to re-train, I'm going to go with no sweetener at all. Or, when I've had plenty of exercise and need a bit of carb anyway, I add something sugary.

My point is that, when you SOMETIMES add sugar to your tea, it makes you want to ALWAYS add sugar. Sweetness causes a profound philological reaction to varying degrees in different people. Yes, it can feel like an addiction to some.

So I don't drink tea, but SOMETIMES I add sugar to my coffee but it doesn't mean I ALWAYS want to. Just crappy coffee. Even then, 1 cube (I use cubes at home) is often TOO MUCH and I won't finish the coffee because it's too sweet.

Just because you like sugar sometimes doesn't mean you won't enjoy it without sometimes too.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    yes thats true.

and come to think of it, I do occasionally put 1/2 tsp sugar in coffee, mainly if I get it out somewhere and is too strong for me.

a problem I have solved by asking for half strength cappacino - but if I forget and get strong one, I add little bit of sugar.

However I get poster's point - it is possible to retrain your taste buds - and if you want to start weaning yourself from sweetener for whatever reason, that is fine too.
  • kcmcbee
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    kcmcbee wrote: »

Carlos - “HFCS is 55% fructose and 45% glucose, the exact same sugars that naturally occur in fruit.
    Your body uses it as an energy source in exactly the same way.

Wow a whole bunch of hate on my sugar comment so sorry. And my comment was about sucralose not Aspertame (ugh!) so off on the specific comment.
    But...from what I’ve read (from medical Dr.) is that HFCS is processed only by our liver and any excess goes straight to storage (turns to Fat) vs sugar which can be processed by every cell in our body (still too much of it and it stores also) and the insulin spike this causes is not good.
    Lemurcat2 - Agree - this aligns with what I read on this also. Thanks.

Paperpudding - I’m not a chemist but it’s about the chlorine molecule added in the “chlorination process” to make that stuff that some people aren’t on board with so as you say, some are and some aren’t. Too bad we have to try so hard to get real and accurate health info and good luck to us getting it.

My opinion- some sugar good. Too much sugar bad. More natural the better. Ok to use a substitute and more info on it the better.

• kiddycat73
    kiddycat73 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Have you tried monkfruit sweetener? I just bought some, going to try it in my coffee tomorrow. I tasted a little bit, and it is very sweet with none of the fake sugar sugar substitutes fake aftertaste.