How many calories?

Options
Hi guys,

Just some advice please. Is 1700/1800 cals too high? I’m 5ft6, 140lbs, 22yo - I would normally work out 4 times a week but just back from holiday so nothing this week!
I see peopl alternate how many calories they eat on rest and work out days, is this worth trying?

Many thanks!

Replies

• RovP6
    RovP6 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    The only way to be sure is to eat that many calories daily, weight yourself every day for two weeks and take the average. If you've gained weight then you can say with a degree of certainty that you're eating too much and you can adjust from there.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i eat more on workout days because i am eating back some of those calories.
  • Damienriven
    Damienriven Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Should be fine as long as the foods you are eating don’t spike your insulin too intensely.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Hi guys,

Just some advice please. Is 1700/1800 cals too high? I’m 5ft6, 140lbs, 22yo - I would normally work out 4 times a week but just back from holiday so nothing this week!
    I see peopl alternate how many calories they eat on rest and work out days, is this worth trying?

Many thanks!

When you put your stats in MFP and tell it your weekly goal (at your height and weight it could be lose or maintain), how many calories does it give you?

That's your base calories.

Then, when you exercise, you log that, and eat back some percentage of that. Some people eat 50% of the calories they earn from exercise; others lose as intended when eating 100% of their exercise calories.

In case your goal is to lose, your weekly weight loss goal should not be more than a half pound per week:

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • leannehiggins97
    Options
    When you put your stats in MFP and tell it your weekly goal (at your height and weight it could be lose or maintain), how many calories does it give you?

That's your base calories.

Then, when you exercise, you log that, and eat back some percentage of that. Some people eat 50% of the calories they earn from exercise; others lose as intended when eating 100% of their exercise calories.

In case your goal is to lose, your weekly weight loss goal should not be more than a half pound per week:

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg[/quote]

Thanks for this, why only .5 lbs a week? I used to go for 1200/1400 calories a day but really unsustainable!
  • DrewZombieZ
    DrewZombieZ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to drop, it should be 1450~ for now and as you drop so will your calorie intake but, yes 1700/1800 is too much if you're trying to drop.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to drop, it should be 1450~ for now and as you drop so will your calorie intake but, yes 1700/1800 is too much if you're trying to drop.

How do you get the number 1450??

OP is younger and taller than me and we don't know her activity level. Mine was only lightly active so highly likely hers is at least as much

And I got more than 1450 - curious how you came to that number for her.