Question about heart rate

Options
I have a HR of 108 just sitting down resting, I have a call into my doctor about wether or not this should cause concern during workouts, Just waiting on a call back. My doctor is aware of my increased heart rate, I just forgot to ask if it poses any concern while working out. Im just worried of my HR being too high as I do cardio workouts and its been holding me back. In the mean time, Anyone with experience on this subject?

Replies

• kelseyt17
    kelseyt17 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    For as long as I can remember my heart rate has always been over 100 when I was sitting/resting. And when I would exercise I could get it up too 190-200 easily. Now That I have been exercising a lot for almost a year my average heart rate is about 70-80 while resting/sitting. You should consult with your doctor, but it is most likely your body is just not in as good of shape anymore.
  • kimmermcb
    kimmermcb Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    For as long as I can remember my heart rate as always been over 100 when I was sitting/resting. And when I would exercise I could get it up too 190-200 easily. Now That I have been exercising a lot for almost a year my average heart rate is about 70-80 while resting/sitting. You should consult with your doctor, but it is most likely your body is just not in as good of shape anymore.
    Thank you.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Normal HR for an adult is 80-100. I would have your dr definitely check it out, being that it is above 100. Mine is 65-70 while at rest.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    For as long as I can remember my heart rate has always been over 100 when I was sitting/resting. And when I would exercise I could get it up too 190-200 easily. Now That I have been exercising a lot for almost a year my average heart rate is about 70-80 while resting/sitting. You should consult with your doctor, but it is most likely your body is just not in as good of shape anymore.

I agree when I first started my Heart Rate use to be over 100 at rest, and I could get it up to 180 190 while working out now my resting rate is about 80, 85. It's always good to consult your doctor but I doubt if it's anything to be alarmed about.
  • ToddFo
    ToddFo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Same thing here. I started a major cardio routine in January, and my starting heart rate was always around 100 bpm. Now, I drive to the gym with the monitor on, and my heart rate is 59 or 60 bpm.

Makes one stop and think when you consider all the extra work the heart has to do when one isn't in shape.
  • gradgal01
    gradgal01 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't have any expert advice, but I would talk to your doc first, especially if there's a reason your HR is high, if you experience arrhythmia or palpitations when you do light exercise, or if you ever have chest pain at rest/with light exercise. That being said, start slow, and if you ever start feeling light-headed/faint/dizzy or extra heart beats or anything like that, definitely stop. Obviously, we're all here to lose weight and get more fit, and (depending on your circumstances) that should help with your rest HR, but you also don't want to put yourself out of commission. Good luck :)
  • msmonique0919
    Options
    I went to the doctor about this last Thursday. My heart rate was 44 though. It was too low because of meds that I take. She told me that the normal heartrate is between 60 and 100bpm. Anything predominantly higher or lower than that, may pose a concern. She also told me that the formula for the MAXIMUM heart rate that you should not exceed is 200 - your age. So, you should only be hitting 180 or 190 if you are 10 or 20 years old. She said that when you are exercising and have a heart beat at the top of your range, you are not burning fat, but are burning sugar instead. I am 32, which means that my max is 168...but I burn more fat in the 70 - 80% range (between 117 and 134). So I will be trying to stay between 120 and 140 from now on. I would get it checked out, just to be sure.
  • msmonique0919
    Options
    Sorry...that's 220 - minus your age...