difficulty drinking soda after diet

After eating whole foods (nothing processed) for the past couple of weeks. I have tried to drink a Pepsi and I have difficulty finishing it. I have been drinking Perrier water so I know its not the bubbles. Perhaps its the sugar rush.

Does anyone have this issue?

Replies

• HollyPFlax
    HollyPFlax Posts: 79 Member
    Yes, after losing 50 lb and keeping it off, I don't really desire soda any more. It's so sugary and so many calories. Occasionally I'll have a small 8oz serving and that satisfies me. I wouldn't exactly call it a problem, though!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    No, but I drank diet soda throughout my weight loss.

What do you mean you had "difficulty finishing it"? You didn't want to? You felt physically full? You felt ill? You felt guilty?
  • Zhe139
    Zhe139 Posts: 15 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

What do you mean you had "difficulty finishing it"? You didn't want to? You felt physically full? You felt ill? You felt guilty?

I started to have a headache and felt so full after a few gulps.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    It is too sweet for you probably now.

I have found my tastebuds became more sensitive to sweet foods when I stopped eating so much food with added sugar. Fruit in season is so much more delicious now.
  • Zhe139
    Zhe139 Posts: 15 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    No. I never implemented major dietary restrictions because I didn’t see the benefit.
    Attempting to eat “nothing processed” cuts out a swath of nutrient dense foods like Greek yogurt, steel cut oats, quinoa, nuts, bagged salads, frozen vegetables, etc.

Also isn’t Perrier processed?

I dont know about Perrier. By processed I means candy, cakes, chips ...
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Zhe139 wrote: »

If you cut the sugar in your diet way down, I suppose a sudden rush of straight sugar might give you a headache.
    If you were still drinking carbonated water, I'd have to think the full feeling was psychological, unless the Pepsi was way more carbonated than your typical Perrier was.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    After eating whole foods (nothing processed) for the past couple of weeks. I have tried to drink a Pepsi and I have difficulty finishing it. I have been drinking Perrier water so I know its not the bubbles. Perhaps its the sugar rush.

Does anyone have this issue?

I put a tight limit on drinks with calories but the exclusive whole foods thing and I didn't get along when I tried it years ago. I just don't see a point in making my efforts to lose weight harder by adding unnecessary restrictions. A fair amount of my weekly diet is still whole foods but not all. What I have learned is that eating for health, at least for me, is something else that should be done in moderation.

Soda is too sweet to me now. I don't have a bad reaction other than disliking the taste.

• Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member

Caffeine maybe?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    could be a reaction to the caffeine.

i live off diet coke and have lost 130 pounds. you can take that and my coffee creamer from my cold dead hands LOL

and if you cooked any of your food...you did have processed food ;)
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I do find the carbonation of some soft drinks to be more foamy than bubbly like club soda/perrier usually is. I get full feeling very quick, and burpy.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    I quit all soda and alcohol and never looked back. Feel so much better!
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Cherry Coke zero for life.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member

What else were you eating it recently ate? Although I agree a sugar overload can affect you in many ways, it’s not gonna give you a headache or make you feel full IMMEDIATELY, which is the time it takes for a”few gulps”. Seems like it would take longer than that.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    I used to drink 3-4 ginger ales or tonic waters a day.

On a trip around the Med, it was hot and a lot of walking was involved, I found it easier to carry a bottle of fizzy water around than a warm, open, can of my preferred pop.

By the time I go home my taste buds could only taste the sugar, not the flavouring.

I’ve stuck with fizzy water ever since, with the exception of gin and tonics :), so don’t know how it would affect me now- sugar overload probably.

I don’t think I have drank a full can in 10yr it is just too sweet.

Cheers, h.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Tastes change i guess.

I started drinking skim milk because of the lower calorie content. Now regular milk just tastes too 'heavy' and 'creamy' (for lack of better terms) and I much prefer skim. Likewise regular softdrinks now taste too 'syrupy' (if that makes sense) and I much prefer zero cal version now by choice.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I stopped liking sugary soda relatively soon after switching to diet (I never liked Pepsi or diet Pepsi since I think it tastes even sweeter than Coke/diet Coke). This had zero to do with weight loss, it was ages ago. Now I can immediately tell if I'm accidentally given regular and just don't enjoy it (they taste syrupy to me too). I don't drink the diet sodas I like all that often, but I still enjoy them just fine, so don't know.

(My main caffeine source was never soda, but coffee.)

So dunno. Maybe your tastes changed, maybe it was something about being aware of the cals that made it mentally hard and you just experienced that as you did.