Advice on nutrition

Options
Ive been back into the gym for about 3 months supported by additional training sessions. The advice Iโ€™m seeking is good nutrition to help manage excess belly fat which has taken years of alcohol and poor diet to build ๐Ÿ‘

Replies

• annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,305 Member
    Options
    Good nutrition for me is eating a balanced meal, I try to eat more veg with my meals and fruit also have cut down on portion size, I logg what I eat daily and that has helped me keep on track also how much I drink so I know when I need to cut back or have alcohol free days, I also log my exercises and increase these when I am not making progress so far it's working for me belly fat slowly going.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Ive been back into the gym for about 3 months supported by additional training sessions. The advice Iโ€™m seeking is good nutrition to help manage excess belly fat which has taken years of alcohol and poor diet to build ๐Ÿ‘

The way to get rid of belly fat is to lose weight. And to do that you need to eat at a calorie deficit.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • mblee18
    mblee18 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you and I have been eating and drinking the same Standard American Diet for multiple years and are in the middle of trying to make a lifestyle change. I've been working out and watching my diet since April this year and have lost 25 lbs so far and almost 4" off of my waistline. I reached a plateau around 200 lbs. in June. I then started listening to different Podcasts and heard a constant theme about cutting the hidden sugars out of your diet. Obviously I already gave up the Alcohol, chips, soda, ice cream, candy bars etc. and thought my sugar intake was already low. I did some research, read a book about it and gave it a try starting a few weeks ago. I then lost 10 lbs in 12 days keeping the same work out regiment. I'm not Keto, Paleo, Vegan, Vegetarian etc. but I have been following more of a low carb diet. At the moment My Macros are around 50% Fat, 25% Protein and 25% Carbs. I don't know if this is helpful or not for you but I would imagine you will need to play around with your diet to see what works best for you. Good luck.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Nutrition and weight loss are two seperate things. To lose weight, you need to be in a calorie deficit. You can do that having good nutrition or bad nutrition. Likewise you can have good nutrition and gain weight if you are on a calorie surplus. So those two things are seperate from each other.

As far as good nutrition, there is no exact definition of what good nutrition would be for a specific person, since nutritional needs can vary depending on individual factors. That being said, generally recommended nutritional advice includes whole grains, fiber sources like beans and avocadoes, whole grain starches and most fruits and veggies, mono and poly unsaturated fata like nuts, seeds, olive oil, and avocado, lean protein sources, sufficient iron and calcium, and a good intake of fruits and vegetables.