Homemade broths? how to enter

Options
I'm trying to track my food again and I'm already running into difficulties. I normally prefer to use the recipes function for homemade items as I know what I used.

But how the heck do I enter something like homemade chicken stock or bone broth? Having the worst time finding beef bones in the database and I have no idea how to handle the chicken carcass aspect.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to track my food again and I'm already running into difficulties. I normally prefer to use the recipes function for homemade items as I know what I used.

But how the heck do I enter something like homemade chicken stock or bone broth? Having the worst time finding beef bones in the database and I have no idea how to handle the chicken carcass aspect.

Any suggestions?

My suggestion is do not try and figure it out. Search for a USDA entry that matches the type you have made and call it good enough.

You do not put things in your recipes that you do not eat. I doubt you are eating the beef bones or chicken carcasses so they are not part of your calorie intake. When you make broth they do add calories to the water but it is not something we can calculate in a home kitchen.

If you do not skim the fat you need to measure it after it cooks by removing it from the top and weighing it. It will add 9 calories per gram. You can just use a USDA entry for bacon grease/fat to add it to the recipe.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I make homemade brodo- I add it as a new food. I also have a Brodo shop that is awesome in my neighborhood! I sometimes take a peek at their nutrition info- but they are also adding vegetables.

This is from the -USDA Nutrient Database:

1 cup of homemade chicken or beef stock ranges from 31 to 86 calories, 0.2 to 2.9g fat, 4.7 to 6g protein, and varying amounts of calcium, iron, potassium and other minerals.