Effects of seasons on metabolism and appetite

Options
Just wondering if anyone knows what effects the seasons have on your metabolism and appetite? What have your experiences been? I’m in Australia so I’ve just come through a cold winter but since spring hit about a week ago, the weather has warmed up, the days are longer and I’m struggling to keep to my calorie limit. No weight gain so far despite going way over a couple of times, but I’m a bit concerned by my apparent lack of willpower. Any ideas what impact the change of seasons would have?

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    The seasons can and do affect a lot of people mentally, we're now coming into winter here (Northern Ireland) and that will mean horrible weather, lots of rainy, cold days. I'm 6 years into maintenance and don't find the seasons change my exercise/eating habits at all. Our metabolism is something we can help simply by moving more.
    In summer when the days are longer/warmer I find I am more active so if I do eat more it all balances out because of my activity.
    Going over calories now and again wont be much of a problem, its only when we consistently take in more than we burn that weight gain happens.
    Hope you can get a handle on the changing season and find what will work for you.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    82EC wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows what effects the seasons have on your metabolism and appetite? What have your experiences been? I’m in Australia so I’ve just come through a cold winter but since spring hit about a week ago, the weather has warmed up, the days are longer and I’m struggling to keep to my calorie limit. No weight gain so far despite going way over a couple of times, but I’m a bit concerned by my apparent lack of willpower. Any ideas what impact the change of seasons would have?

For me hot weather means less hunger and less cravings and despite seeming like it would be a good thing it can be quite frustrating at times.

Perhaps it is time to experiment with a different way of eating for yourself. Break out of your mold a little and see how other types of eating might affect your satiety and mental satisfaction. Try something for a week or two and see what you think and then maybe try something else. You could even try a period of theme based eating like a few days of Asian, a few days of Italian, and a few days of Mexican, etc.

When something stops working, even if it is seasonal, it is time to adapt and try something else.

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Are you more active now that winter is over?
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I have found the last few years that it is actually easier for me to stay in a deficit during fall and winter than spring and summer. I think it is because I indulge in a lot more things during the warmer months - more beer and margaritas, more milkshakes, more snacking because I'm more active, etc.

Try to determine what changes in your lifestyle along with the weather change and figure out where you can make adjustments.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Summer in Manitoba typically has me late night snacking while camping or around a fire with friends. We travel more and I find it harder to control my food choices(we spent last long weekend at a fly in fishing lodge, we packed enough fruit and alcohol to load up our little 4 seater plane but had to deal with what we caught and what the lodge had on had outside of that). In the winter and early spring life is more scheduled and I tend to dress in more fitted clothing as opposed to cooler floaty dresses and such, so I am more aware of weigh gain and also more structured with my routine.

My metabolism suffers more in the winter and bloodwork will always show I need more thyroid meds where as the summer I can get away with less because my body is fighting less to stay warm. So it is partly an awareness issue for me and partly a medication issue but for sure my body changes seasonally.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    I live in the Northern US.

It seems, very subjectively, that I have an "eat more" impulse as the daylight gets shorter, but I can't prove it. Without the slightest scientific justification, I blame my mostly Northern European (Scandinavian) genes.

I certainly move less in the Winter (preferred exercise not available, more likely to indulge sedentary hobbies instead, especially as I neglect them a bit during warmer weather; less incidental daily-life movement like gardening, entertainments such as art or music festivals, etc.). Also, Winter has the big-eating holidays for my family/culture: My birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I typically put on some weight in the winter because it's dark in the morning and dark in the evening, and it's cold and I get less activity overall, including deliberate exercise. I also tend to eat heavier foods like casseroles and whatnot that go good with cold weather while I hunker down at home.

Spring rolls around and things warm up and the sun is out more...my activity in general increases as I am out and about more and out on my bike more for exercise. Summer food is lighter with more grilled meats, poultry, and fish with fresh vegetables and fruit.

Typically put on 8-10 Lbs in winter and shed it in the spring going into summer.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    82EC wrote: »

The weather has warmed up? I am jealous. It is cold, wet and windy in SA at the moment. Just when you think spring has sprung, it becomes cold again! I do find that my appetite decreases during the warmer months and I become more active.
  • unstableunicorn
    unstableunicorn Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Personally in the cold months I crave heartier foods (stews, roasts, loads of potatoes and squash, etc). MFP was super helpful the first time I logged faithfully as I learned what to include or drop to continue indulging in heartiness, but I find in the transition from winter to spring I have a hard time balancing wonky appetite and calories (March-May are always gain months for me 😕 ). No working theories atm beyond there may be emotional/psychological factors at play.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I think this is a very individual thing. I am a person who struggles in the winter. I tend to move less and eat more when it’s cold outside, which is (obvs) not conducive to losing weight. But, I have a friend who says she is the opposite. And we live in the same area.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    It’s the reduced hours of sunlight that hits me hardest. In the summer I’m active till it gets dark, and in the winter I have the same urges, that is, to stop being active when it gets dark, which can be 5pm.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    It’s the reduced hours of sunlight that hits me hardest. In the summer I’m active till it gets dark, and in the winter I have the same urges, that is, to stop being active when it gets dark, which can be 5pm.

I hate this! I wish we could stay in daylight savings all the time as I am similar to you and would love the extra light in the evening!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I typically put on some weight in the winter because it's dark in the morning and dark in the evening, and it's cold and I get less activity overall, including deliberate exercise. I also tend to eat heavier foods like casseroles and whatnot that go good with cold weather while I hunker down at home.

Spring rolls around and things warm up and the sun is out more...my activity in general increases as I am out and about more and out on my bike more for exercise. Summer food is lighter with more grilled meats, poultry, and fish with fresh vegetables and fruit.

Typically put on 8-10 Lbs in winter and shed it in the spring going into summer.

You are consistent that’s for sure! I’ve seen you say this many times over the years. Unfortunately for me biking makes me ravenous so I haven’t lost weight with my summer biking, but I have sure have enjoyed it! First time in my life I’ve biked like this! 🚲
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I find it harder to lose weight in the summer. There's a bounty of food like pies and ice cream and lemonade and macaroni salad. It gets humid here too so some days it's dangerous to walk the dog (where I get my exercise). Nor do I want to get hot and sweaty at the gym, and then go into the hot and sweaty air outside. And the schedule is busier with activities - cookouts, birthdays, vacations, etc.

For me winter is easier for exercise because unless it's extremely cold the dog has a much easier time with long walks. Exercising in the gym warms me up on cold days. And while the food in winter is heavier (cream soups, potatoes, pumpkin) it's easier to get satisfied on those heavy foods than on the cucumbers and tomatoes of summertime.