What have I done to my calf???

Options
meerkat70
meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
I did a run with my daughter and partner today. It wasn't too onerous. We factored it into our usual dog walk - warmed up for 10minutes, ran (running and walking) for 30, and then walked home. We cover this distance every day, and I've been running / walking for a few weeks.

On the way back home, about 30 minutes after stopping the run, I think while climbing a stile, my lower calf started to really hurt. I can still walk on it but it's sore - like it's cramping all the time. (It reminds me of the ache you sometimes get from a cramp in your leg when sleeping - like there's a hard knot there). It responded a little to ibuprofen, but it's not feeling terribly healthy. The ache is in the bit of my leg where the calf kind of meets the tendon going down to the ankle - but it's definitely in the bottom of the calf muscle, not the tendon itself.

My question is - is it a serious injury? Should I rest it? Can I still do, for instance, the elliptical, do you think, or do I need to rest it completely? I'd planned a fairly serious gym session tomorrow, and don't really want to stop. If I can't do that, will it be ok to swim at least?

Replies

• CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    You are really the best judge of all the questions at the bottom of your post. As for your calf, you likely just strained it but it likely will need a couple of days rest. Ibuprofen, rest for the night, ice and heat at 10 min intervals and slowly and gently try to stretch it a bit when it's heated. Don't stretch it cold. See how it feels tomorrow. If it still really hurts then take it easy for the day. If it still really hurts in 48 hrs or there is a lot of bruising and swelling in the area, go to the doc, you may have a small tear.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    See your MD.

My sister had a similar injury. For her, it was that she simply did not warm up enough. It is exactly what you are describing. By the next morning she had visible bruising from the calf muscle seizing. What the doctor told her is that she tore some of the muscle.

Follow the RICE program and call you doctor to determine the extent of the injuries.

For my sister, it took a full month of gentle use to heal.

So sorry to hear about this!:flowerforyou:

D
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Thanks catherine. My gut feel is that it isn't a tear - just a strain. Your reply was very helpful - I'll try the things you suggest. There's no swelling or bruising - it's just achey.
  • Countrymade
    Countrymade Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine just had the same thing. Her calf was really hurting. She could hardly walk. We told her to go get it checked out to make sure it wasn't a blood clot. She went to the ER and she had a sprain. She has no idea how she did it.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, but I have had something like this before. In my calf and my toe.
    I had to relax the bodypart completely so that it'd stop spazzing. Had to drink lots of water as well. Then I did some light stretching and slow application of pressure on the muscle.
    Not sure what it is, but I think it's related to low electrolytic levels or dehydration.
  • lodicox7
    lodicox7 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a bad charlie horse. Do some calf stretches up against a wall and eat more potassium! Make sure you stretch your calves before walking/running as well.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    See your MD.

My sister had a similar injury. For her, it was that she simply did not warm up enough. It is exactly what you are describing. By the next morning she had visible bruising from the calf muscle seizing. What the doctor told her is that she tore some of the muscle.

Follow the RICE program and call you doctor to determine the extent of the injuries.

For my sister, it took a full month of gentle use to heal.

So sorry to hear about this!:flowerforyou:

D

Oh dear, I do hope it's not this serious! Thanks for your reply. If it's still as bad in the morning, I'll take myself off to the doc. I was able to walk home, just a bit limpy, and have been getting about this afternoon / evening, just with some aching. So hopefully not as serious as your sister.

Here's hoping! :-)
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, but I have had something like this before. In my calf and my toe.
    I had to relax the bodypart completely so that it'd stop spazzing. Had to drink lots of water as well. Then I did some light stretching and slow application of pressure on the muscle.
    Not sure what it is, but I think it's related to low electrolytic levels or dehydration.

Aw yes, and this too...Hydration is crucial!!!
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    i would have it checked out by a doc.

i though i had a really bad muscle cramp in my calf after playing basketball one day. turns out i partially tore my tendon. So the next time i went out to play, i completely tore the tendon. had to have surgery, etc.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Thanks all, I'll keep an eye on it and make sure I don't overstrain. I drink lots, but I'll keep an eye on my water intake over the next day or so too.

Thanks for all the very helpful replies.
  • bexp2
    bexp2 Posts: 41
    Options
    It sounds like the same area and type of damage I did to my calf when I ran too far in some "barefoot" shoes. Be careful with it; I still feel occasional twinges in that area two years later. I was able to bike the next day, but couldn't do anything really weight-bearing for several weeks. Best to heal it now, even if that means a little time off, than to make it worse. Good luck!
  • VeggiePumpkin
    Options
    My gut feeling here (and I'm no doctor), is to rest it. Also make sure you're getting enough Magnesium. That's vital for muscles and a deficiency can lead to "charley horses" and muscle spasms. Though I don't think that's your problem, it could be a contributing factor? Take an Epsom Salt bath, rest it and go slow! I agree with the others, make sure you stretch good and don't stress your muscles!