Achilles Heel Pain

Options
I started running back in January. I eased myself into it and took things slowly. Since then I've been able to run several miles and REALLY enjoy it. But, I've been having pain just above my ankle on my right foot on and off for about a month. I am thinking it is my achilles tendon and haven't run in about 2 weeks. Has anyone else experienced this before? Is there anything I can do to help it heal or am I done running for a while? I'd go to a doctor, but I have crappy student insurance, so it's not really feasible at this point. Thanks for any input!!

Replies

• CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    May be achiles tendonitis (tendon is tight and inflamed). Lots of water, rest and ibuprofen should sort it out. Also, how old are your shoes? Improperly fitting (or just old) running shoes can slip and give you blisters and all sorts of other nastiness.
  • slimothy89
    Options
    It may just be inflamed!

Drink Water..rest...and make sure you do the proper stretches!!!
  • Ladymomo9
    Ladymomo9 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have plantar fascitis...I had it on my right foot and it took about 11 months to heal completely. Now it's my left foot but I have this splint that I wear to sleep because it heals overnight and then reinjures itself once I start walking again...it takes a while..but it will heal if that is what it is.

I hope you feel better soon!
  • ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    Options
    I had that problem but when I went out and bought some good running shoes it stopped. Just a couple of days ago my right Achilles started up again. I am on second day off and it is feeling better. I will workout tomorrow again. This tells me its time to get some new shoes again. I put over 300 miles on them. Good shoes can only handle 300-500 miles before its time to trade them in.
  • autumnridge
    autumnridge Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I definitely experience foot pain when my shoes are starting to wear out. Do you warm up your feet before you run? Get a resistance band. Holding both ends in your hand, loop it around the bottom of your foot. Push your foot against it for 2 reps of 15. Leave in place, but swing your foot to the outside 2 x 15 and follow by swinging your foot to the inside 2 x 15. If you have someone who can help you, have them hold the ends while you pull your foot towards you, again 2 x 15. Your feet should be warmed up. I find it helps to ice my feet for 10 minutes after exercise.
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm experiencing that right now. I read up on it and it said to rest, but my running friend just said she once ran a marathon with tendonitits. She told me to massage it, ice it, heat it, slap some bengay on it and wrap it up when I run until it feels better. She did say if I feel pain when I'm running I should stop. I've taken the last two days off and have been doing the icing/heating thing all day. I'm hoping I can get out there tomorrow.

I do know if you go to a physical therapist, they will give you a theraband to do strength exercises for that area of the calf, but you can also to calf raises and stretches to help strengthen the area to prevent it from happening again.

I will say, however, if it keeps hurting I would get it checked out by a doctor. If left untreated and it doesn't go away on it's own you could get a tear - which you DON'T want. When I was 12 I was heavily into gymnastics and had a torn achilles tendon and it took me months to recover - and I was 12. I'm sure it would take an adult much longer :/

Good luck!